The Canadian Peregrine Foundation

Scarborough Home Page

Photo Gallery

Yellow Pages building
Milner and Markham Road

Please help us keep track of the peregrines!  We welcome your observations of this pair (or any other peregrines) by email 

Friday May 26, 2006
Mark Nash reports:
Confirmed - failed nest

It is with sadness that I must report that the Scarborough nest site has in fact failed this year. Over the past ten days, Bruce has been reporting that the Lawrie and Ruben have spent much of the time off the nest ledge, showing very little interest in any incubation activities. Based on the full time incubation observations, we expected a hatch no later than May 16th, but of course it has not happened.

With many thanks to our good friends at Bell, I was able to attend the upper roof area to get a detailed look at the ledge, and as suspected, based on the absence of any peregrines activity, the nest ledge was empty. There were no eggs or no adults anywhere to be seen. I was able to take number of photographs of the nest ledge, and I must say, that it is sure luck that the Lawrie and Ruben were successful last year, as the ledge was void of any substrate material, showing only a small bit of brown mossy material on top of the bare metal. It was obvious throughout the incubation period, that most of our observations of the pair had them constantly chasing and collecting eggs to gather them together so they could incubate them. We are currently in conversation with the powers to be regarding the install of a small nest tray, similar to the one at the Etobicoke nest site that has provided the nesting adult pair a good nesting base.
Stay tuned for additional news.

Sunday May 14, 2006
Mark Nash reports:
I met with Bruce Massey this afternoon, as he had called me today indicating that there was some very strange behavior observed from the Scarborough adult pair. Arrived later afternoon, and stayed for an hour and certainly agree that Lawrie and Ruben were behaving very strange. They wee very unsettled, and if I didn’t know better, I would have thought that Lawrie had in fact abandoned the nest, as she refused to spend any time incubating. Ruben took up the incubation duties most all day, with Lawrie observed either not at all, or quick “touch and goes” from the nest ledge. Two eggs were still visible from our observation point, and still not indication of a hatch was observed. We will keep be keeping a very close eye on the situation over the next couple of days.

Friday May 12, 2006
Bruce Massey reports:
Mid afternoon observations

Despite the fact that we expected a hatch to have taken place by this date, both adults were observed in their normal routine with no unusual behavior by either. Lawrie was observed spending much of her time still in incubation mode, with at least two eggs visible during her shuffling and repositioning on the nest bowl. While she did seem more unsettled today, it appears that there has not been a hatch as yet.

We are expecting a hatch any day now!!

Mark Nash reports: Afternoon observations

After speaking with Bruce earlier on in the day, I decided to stop at the Scarborough nest site on the way home to do a quickly spot check. After several hours of watching, it was still apparent that there has yet to be a hatch, but Lawrie was restless during her incubation duties. A hatch is very close!

Sunday May 7, 2006
Mark Nash reports:
After a quick spot check this afternoon, I had an opportunity to spend several hours on site to try out the new scope. Quite thrilling actually, with a 25x75 eye piece, and a 100mm objective lens really does provide an incredible view from a far!! I found Lawrie sound asleep with her head resting on the edge of the nest bowl. Rueben was observed roosting & preening on the communication tower to the east of the nest building, (in the middle of a very aggressive preen fest), obviously very concerned about his personal hygiene. At approx. 3 pm, I witnessed a changing of the guard, and Lawrie was able to get off the incubation duties and stretch her wings, as she flew over to the No-Frills roof top, and roosted on one of the lights atop of the building roof.

** Several photos were taken of both Lawrie on the nest, and atop of the No-Frills roof. Her band numbers were easily noted with the new scope, and it was confirmed that it was Lawrie.

It was quite obvious by the end of my watching that there is still no evidence of a hatch, as the pair settled down quite quickly at the change, and at no time over the four plus hours that I was on site, did I see any food go into the nest ledge. We are expecting a hatch some time next week – May 8th to May 12th.

Stay tuned………

(Webmaster's note:) Photos have been added to the 2006 Scarborough Photo Gallery.

Sunday April 30, 2006
John Wood reports:
On Sunday April 30th/2006, I arrived at around 12:45. While pulling into the parking lot, I saw the Male leaving in a South West direction with something that looked like a mouse or maybe a small bird in It's bill. I waited patiently for a good hour and a half before there was any sign of activity. At around 2:15, I spotted a Turkey Vulture heading west to east over my head and decided to get a couple of shots. Just as I got the first shot off. Wow! Rueben came out of nowhere and attacked. The scavenger disappeared immediately and at that point I managed to get a couple of shots of the protector before he perched on the tower to oversee the entire area. Every day in the field is a learning experience. I've included some Photos of the performance!

(Webmaster's note:) Photos have been added to the 2006 Scarborough Photo Gallery.

Saturday April 29, 2006
John Wood reports:
I spent a few hours this Weekend of the 29th April observing and photographing those truly incredible raptors. On Saturday, I arrived around 11 A.M. when at that time I believe Rueben was taking his turn on the nest. Assuming that the male must share the duty? At that time, while I was getting the camera out of my vehicle, Lawry flew around a couple of times and conveniently perched on the "B" not far from the nest to preen herself. (Think it was Laurie). Correct me if I'm wrong? She sat there for a good 20 minutes before winging off over me. My jaw dropped as she passed over my head by just a few metres! My first thought was that she was trying to scare me off (if I'd only had my other camera ready with the shorter lens). At that point I wheeled around and looked as she pulled up just short of a Ground Hog who was browsing close to the fence by the Petrocan. She then flew off to the south and I proceeded to the grocery store.

(Webmaster's note:) A photo has been added to the 2006 Scarborough Photo Gallery.

Monday April 24, 2006
Mark Nash reports:
A good day despite the off again on again rain, as the adult male “Rueben” spent some of his day chasing off the local avian inhabitants today, as a pair of crows found out in short order. Rueben dove from the communication tower on an unsuspecting pair of crows as they casually crossed that imaginary line that separates the rest of the world from “peregrine territory”.

The crows were quickly dispatched, as he pursued them off to the north east out of my view.

Footnote regarding a hatch: we re expecting a hatch some time during the first week of May, - estimating May 6th to May 10th based the start of Lawrie’s full time incubation.

Stay tuned…………

Wednesday April 12, 2006
Bruce Massey reports:
A good for watching, as both Rueben and Lawrie were active today, despite the fact that Lawrie has been in full time incubation mode for over a week. Both adults are incredibly protective over the territory, as we observed over dozen flights with the pair going after other birds as they cross over that imaginary territorial line. On several different occasions, even Lawrie left her incubation duties to join Rueben in his pursuit and territorial defending activities. You would think that the resident crows would have learned!!

Tuesday April 4, 2006
Mark Nash & Bruce Massey report:
Full time incubation has started!

Today the behavior of the two adults have changed telling yet another story. We can confirm that Lawrie is finally in full time incubation. Seeing only just the top of her head while she is on the nest ledge, she is finally started her full time incubation. Looking for first week of May hatch date. Stay tuned……………………

Thursday March 30, 2006
Bruce Massey reports:
Egg production has begun!

Observed several copulations today! Egg laying is in progress, as both adults were very active on and off the nest ledge today. We watched Lawrie fly to the top of the telephone/hydro poles on Pharmacy Ave., where she was accompanied by Rueben, and copulation was observed. Rueben was then observed flying back to the nest ledge with much vocalization in the air, followed by Lawrie.

Lawrie was observed involved in further scraping of the nest ledge, spending parts of day laying down for short periods of time.

Mark Nash reports: I met up with Bruce in the late afternoon and got an update regarding the copulation activity. Apparently Bruce has been watching the pair most of the early afternoon involved in courtship activities, including several copulations atop of the hydro poles on Pharmacy Ave. Spent several hours on site, with the scope, and watched the pair both on and off the nest ledge with allot of vocalizing, and two copulations. Interestingly, Rueben was observed spending allot of his roosting time perched on the bare branches of the trees in the front of the building. We did not observe this behavior last year.

Monday April 17, 2006

(Webmaster's note:) A photo has been added to the 2006 Scarborough Photo Gallery.

Saturday April 15, 2006

(Webmaster's note:) The 2006 Scarborough Photo Gallery has been created.

Wednesday March 29, 2006
Frank Butson reports:
I went to check on Rueben and Lawrie today, arriving at about 11:40am, I immediately saw Rueben on the nest ledge,walking around. I looked around for Lawrie but couldnt see her immediately.

At 11:50am Rueben was observed flying from the nest ledge to the last large desciduous tree, closest the car wash, where he landed next to Lawrie. There was a mating and Rueben flew off shortly after back to the nest ledge. Rueben called from the nest ledge.

12 noon Rueben dropped and flew to the first desciduous tree nearest the Bell building, where he perched briefly. He soon left and went on a hunting excursion, buzzing pigeons.

12:45 I left with Lawrie still in the tree,majestically looking over her territory.

Staff I spoke with mentioned that the pair had been mating often. And had been seen perched in various tree of late,something I thought abit odd.

Saturday March 4, 2006
Carol Horner reports:
Over the last few weeks I have made periodic checks for the Peregrine Falcons at Pharmacy and Eglinton. Usually one or both can be found on the south side of the Bell building.This afternoon as I drove south on Pharmacy, 2 Peregrines were harrasing 2 separate flocks of Rock Pigeons in the area of Pharmacy and Lawrence. Presumably the same pair, which was absent from the Bell building at the time.

Monday January 16, 2006
David Shilman reports:
I saw a Peregrine flying over the intersection of Pharmacy and Eglinton carrying a Rock Pigeon. It landed on a light standard in the parking lot on the SW corner, and began to eat it.

Sunday October 2, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
A quick visit at the Scarborough nest site, and observed both adults on the nest building and communications tower to the east. Nice to see that they are still both around enjoying the fall colours. It would appear that they can also be added to the list of adult territorial birds that won't be migrating south for the winter. You know what they say, "Location, Location, Location"!

Friday September 9, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
Juvenile Mortality
Sad news to report, as news comes in from Mark Heaton from the OMNR that a young juvenile peregrine falcon has died as a results of injuries. Later identified by her band number as "Loki", one of the three peregrines produced at the Scarborough nest site this year - 2005.

It would appear that the young female peregrine was picked up some time around Aug. 24th in the Low banks area (around the Vineland area in southwestern Ontario) suffering from an exposed fracture and infections. Sadly, after several days of treatment, the Ontario Veterinary College was not able to repair and save Loki, and had to put the bird down.

Thursday September 1, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
With fall just around the corner, reports have been streaming in that things have got very quiet at many of the urban nests sites, and with the absence of the juveniles, it is nice to see at least that many of the urban adults are still on territory, with reports of many of them still spending time on the nest ledges.

Now independent, and hunting on their own, it would appear that many of the juveniles have either moved on, or have dramatically expanded their hunting areas taking them farther away from the home territories. We remember years past, while very closely monitoring some of the peregrine nest sites, we witnessed the adults on more than one occasion actually chasing their offspring out of the territory as October moved in. It is believed that the adults reach a point that they will simply no longer tolerate the harassment for food from their offspring, (in addition to sharing the territory with the kids), and "encourage" their young to move on. Sooner or later, the urge move on overwhelms them, as in the peregrine release sites that we have been doing over the years, the juveniles simply stop returning to the hack boxes for the food being provided by the hack site attendants.

Monday August 1, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Again was a very hot day, and I only found a couple birds in the area the Nest Building.

Saturday July 30, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
It was a very hot day, and I only found one immature in the tower near an upright in the shade.

Thursday July 28, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Again, I went in the evening, and found out the explanation of the actions of the female late last evening. As I circled the nest building, and coming in from the south. I heard some calling and saw two immatures fall in adults for a food drop. One of the immatures originally grabbed the food, but think it was dropped over the empty lot.

Wednesday July 27, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
As I mentioned previously, every time you go to the nest site it's like rolling the dice. You never know who you're going to find. Today, since I had so much luck over near the Water Tower, I headed over there. The route I used, was behind it the Canadian Tire and through the theater parking lot. As I got past the buildings just south of the Canadian Tire, two immatures (One of the boys and Loki, would screaming over top of me to the South East, followed a couple minutes later by the second boy). The first two, I followed with binoculars, and I don't think they stopped until they were over the Warden Subway Station.Twenty minutes or so later, I noticed one had returned to the Water Tower. But this time, it was getting dark and I headed back to the car. As I was walking along Eglinton Avenue, a bird (the adult female I believe) flew over with some difficulty to the north end of the nest building. She then returned to the Water Tower and circled it and she landed out of sight. She then flew back the Tower in the twilight.

Tuesday July 26, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Arrived around 1930 hours, started walking the Hydro Right Of Way from Victoria Park East to Warden Avenue without seeing any birds. When I got near Warden and Eglinton Avenue, I looked back toward the Bell building and the Tower, and did see one bird of the Tower. Of course from that distance, it was impossible to tell what was an adult or immature. I got a little farther on, and the Falcon glided in from the north, and this bird was definitely an immature. It landed on the side of the City Of Toronto Water Tower. When I went around to the East, much to my surprise there was also a second bird that location, also an immature. It almost looked like the two of them were hiding, and whispering " He 'll never find us here". I watch them until was nearly dark, and on my way back to the car I stopped stopped in to get a can of pop. As looking at the store, a peregrine came from the direction of the Water Tower over Eglinton and low over the vacant property near the nest building. Also, as I headed west and look back at the Water Tower I could see another bird on the South-West side. As far as I know, this bird spent a night on the Tower as I lost sight of it in the dark. At one point even laid down on the ledge for a minute or so.

Monday July 25, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Arrived around 1900 Hrs. and in the hour and half or so spent there until dark, I saw no birds. This is the first time that I've been skunked at the Scarborough Nest Site.

Sunday July 24, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Since I did have such good luck yesterday at 0800 Hrs. I decided to walk over to the area early. I arrived around 0615 Hrs. and had a little bit more luck. The Tercel was about five levels up, and just as I can around the corner and immature flew in to the tower from the direction of the building. For five or 10 minutes this immature was around a third level. It then jump toward the middle of tower on a stair landing, and was so amusing is that on the other side of the landing were about five starlings. Again for 10 minutes or so the two groups eyeballed each other, and a peregrine tilting his head back and forth. Ten or fifteen minutes later the the immature flew off, were circled close to the building and headed off East. I could hear vocalizing and it sounded to be somewhere in the old Knob Hill Farms property. I walked along Ashtontonby and sure enough about 4/5 the the way along the Falcon was perched in a tree . Even though still standing this tree was predominately dead, but it did provide a good perch. From this tree, the falcon was flying around the area high and low and then landing back in that tree. Occasionally, a bird to fly over Ashtontonby and back into the property. What confused me, was that the bird would very large over the road but when it landed in the tree it appeared to be smaller. It was not until about an hour later, when I walked along Eglinton and saw what I thought to be one immature in hot pursuit of a bird that it turned out there were two immatures in the area and they were chasing each other.

As I've mentioned in my observations before, the more I see this site with the exception of a low Nest height, it seems well-suited for raising a family. With the exception of Eglinton and Pharmacy Avenues, with that large property to the East it gives the immatures chance to gain skills without much danger. Also, upon my return and going past the Tower I notice about a third level a Starling laid out as food, probably by one of the adults.

On Sunday evening I decided to check Scarborough Nest Site. Didn't see anything in the vicinity , but out to the Northwest on the Hydro Towers I found the adult female and and judging by the size, one of the immature males. They spent 15 or 20 minutes on the towers, then the immature vocalized and the female flew to the north followed by the immature. That was last saw of them for the night.

Saturday July 23, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I arrived at about 0800 Hours. When I arrived there were no birds present, so I started circling. I walked west along Eglinton, and then north to the Hydro Right Of Way on Victoria Park. About 200 yds. West of Pharmacy on that path I heard in immature vocalize the " Feed Me" call. It is amazing how far away you can hear call. The other amazing thing, it is how it reverberates and it's hard to tell what direction it comes from. I would swear I got over to the base to the Tower, the sound was coming from the base. But it turned out that the immature was about to three to four levels up. In the hour to hour and half I stayed there, this was about all action there was.

Thursday July 21, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
First of all, I would like to correct the first sentence of my last report. I did not release an adult and immature, but I did see them at Warden and Eglinton. My apologies for not editing the E-mail before I sent it.

Now down to observations, I decided to drop by the site around 1900 hours Thursday, and as I drove south on Pharmacy approaching Ashtonbee I saw one immature flying around the Tower. After I parked and walked across road, I found one of the males a third so way up the Tower. About 10 minutes later, a second immature popped up from roof. I then walked over to the soccer fields, and the third immature also popped up from the roof. The last one was obviously Loki. I also saw one of the adults with food when the tower and then take off with one males following and the food drop was successfully completed. The rest the night until dark and the family fly on and off the Bell building to the Tower (I wish the two guys would cool playing tag inside the Tower).

Wednesday July 20, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
As I reported last night, I had released one adult and one immature are around intersection of Eglinton and Warden Avenue. So tonight I decided, I would walk south on Pharmacy to Comstock, Comstock to Warden, Warden to Ashtonbee and back to the Bell building. Well when I got over to Warden and Eglinton I look toward the Bell building and saw at least two birds on East face. I took a shortcut at the East end of the Knob Hill Farms Property. From this position, I saw three birds flying around the Bell building. Even from that long distance, it looked like one of them was the female and the other ones the two males. However, from that distance, was it the adult or immature female. Much to my surprise, as I got closer it turned out to be all the three immatures. It was more amazing, Loki the female was holding her own with her two brothers. All three flew around the Bell building and the Tower, with Loki giving as good as she was getting. After about 10 minutes of this, all three settled down on top of the Bell building.

While the birds did this, I marveled at what I just saw. I had to saw what every person that has attended a watch hoped to see. All the immatures together at once, flying together. At this point, I not seen any of the adults. As I was walking behind a Bell building all sudden the Tercel stooped out of the Tower to the south, and much to my surprise all three immatures followed. About 10 minutes later, Loki returned and about five minutes later both of the brothers returned. By then it was too dark and did not see the Tercel return.

Monday July 18, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Just quick note, on an observation I made at the Scarborough Nest Site today. As hours driving east on Eglinton Avenue, and stopped at Warden Avenue, I happen to glanced to the southeast that the city of Toronto Water Tower and saw something that I hadn't seen before. It appeared to of Falcons were on the Tower, one on a seam that that circles the Tower, and a second on the top rail. As I was driving, and not in position to make any sort of turn I went down to the McDonald's parking lot and then walked back in circled the Tower. By the time I walked back toward Avenue, I had only one bird visible (the one on the seam), this bird look fairly Brown, and flew off counterclockwise and disappeared behind the Tower. Thirty seconds or so later, another bird appeared on the top rail, and this was definitely the adult. The reason I know this, is it took a stoop and flew right over me on the West side of Warden Avenue. It might 10 or so minute circling of the tower I did not see the second bird again.

Thursday July 14, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Since I hadn't been to the site in about a week, I decided to check out the site. When I arrived, no birds were visible, so I decided to walk around the old Knob Hill Farms site to to see if any of birds are around. I ended up walking east on Eglinton to Warden, North to the Hydro Right Of Way, and West back to Pharmacy Avenue. During that time I scanned the area, and saw what I thought were two immatures, and by their size and flight I would say I had Loki and one of the males. By the time had completed the circle, and got back to the south side of the nest building I saw two Bell employees in the parking lot, and when over to talk to them. Just about as we lost our light, a bird took off, did a power climb to about two-thirds of the tower. I did notice a tail feather out of place, but was too dark to see if the bird was an adult or immature.

From now on, it will be more more difficult for observations of all the birds, both the adults and immatures to be seen. It is more likely, that observers will see what I've seen tonight.

Sunday July 10, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Started the morning off, with about an hour at this site. What I saw basically, was the same thing as I saw Saturday morning. It was a similar pattern, with a little interaction among the three immatures, the two Immature males flying off, only one returning and Loki the female basically staying on top of the roof. About 20 minutes later, after walking east on Eglinton Avenue I did eventually see the three matures and the male on the top of the building.

Saturday July 9, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:

Round One:

After only seeing two immatures, and the adult female flying off to the South-West and not returning the night before, I decided it would be worth getting to the site around Dawn. Much to my surprise, I had three immatures and the adult male in the area first thing in the morning. There was no sign of Adult female however, and I did take a walk around Eglinton Square Shopping Mall. There was quite a bit of activity, from the two young male immatures, but not all that much activity from Loki the female immature. The two boys were sitting on the top of a ladder on the East side of the Bell building, screaming at each other, and then one flew off to the East, followed by the second one. Only one returned that I could see from the Northwest. I did not see the second one return for the 45 minutes to an hour I was there till I broke off the observation.

Round Two:

Dropped by the site for about half an hour around 1430-1500 Hours. It was pretty hot and humid, therefore it was hard to find the birds in the tower and on top of the Bell building. Still we found two immatures, and one adult (the Tercel).

Round Three:

Dropped by a third time, around 1900 Hours would in the evening. Being cooler, there was activity from the male immatures and the adults. Still not too much activity from Loki, but she was staying up at height and there was a little more interaction with her brothers.

Friday July 8, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
After taking Thursday night off, I was feeling a little guilty and therefore went over around 1900 hours. Saw only the two adults and two immatures (one male and one female). Also met Sam and Mike, a couple of watchers. Loki the female, was flying well, however she did land in a tree for about 30 seconds and then took off to the roof of the Bell building. Just as it was getting dark, the female adult flew off to the southwest toward the Eglinton Square Shopping Mall. We didn't see her return until we broke off the observations at 2130 Hours.

Wednesday July 6, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
Upon my arrival for the morning shift, I joined Frank who was already on site, positioned to the east site of the nest building, where he had all three juveniles in view. With the young juvenile males flying so well, our only concern is Loki, the young female, that still has not the same confidence of her two other siblings. Throughout the early morning and afternoon, Loki made only two short flights from the nest building roof to the tower and back, while her other two brothers had some spectular short flights with their parents to the north and south of the nest building. All in all, things are going well, but we are still keeping a close eye on Loki. At approx. 2 pm, Bruce came in to relieve me and take over my position on the watch.

Bruce Massey reports:

Round 1:

I arrived at the Scarborough Nest Site at about to 1330 hours and found Mark and Frank in attendance. They said that all three immatures had made good flights including Loki, (she did not lost any height). When I got there, one immature was on the nest building, and the other two were on the Tower.

After about half an hour, Mark and Frank left and left me all my lonesome. It was quiet for about another half an hour, and then it got interesting. First the adult female, flew high out to the East, and then appeared to stoop around Warden and Eglinton. She then came back to the Upper part of the tower and was joined by the male. The immature that was higher on the Tower, made a controlled stoop to the south over the gas station and back in to the top of the roof of the Bell building. The second immature joined it from the Tower. Due to the actions of the one bird originally on the Bell building, I would think it was Loki, and therefore the two in the tower were the males, Hermes and Galileo. The two male immatures and the adults returned to the Tower and it was quiet for a while. Then the female again went off to the East, but this time she started stooping something low in the abandoned lot. About a week and a half ago, we did seen similar actions and thought that maybe a local Red Tail Hawk getting run off. But, much to my surprise the adult male joined the female, it turned a to be one of the immature males that was being chased. Even though my view was obscured by the trees on the side of the Bell property, the adults forced that immature down to five to ten Ft. off the ground, but it managed to climb back up to the top of the Bell building where it was joined by it's brother. After this, there was about 15 minutes or so of the two brothers and the female adult flying around the Bell building. Around 1545 hours, the last saw the two brothers were their tails heading north. After not seeing them for 15 minutes or so, I proceeded to to walk around the abandoned lot (Knob Hill Farms). Other than the one bird (Loki) I saw no one, adult or immature. I broke off my observations at 1600 hours, and will probably drop back around 1900 hours for second time.

Round 2:

Arrived at site at 1900 hours, found all the three matures at various levels of the roof of the Bell building. One of the immatures had food about a quarter away along the side of the building. This male was joined by a second male when they had a little tug of war while the female sat down at the South End of the Building. The female then joined them and eventually had some of the food. After everyone one finished, they separated momentarily and then one of the males flew up to a ladder. Within five minutes, his brother followed. After discussing who could beat each other in a race, they both proceeded on a long flight to the East. After landing on the Tower, they did a shorter one to the north and over the Bell building. Loki however, seemed to go over to the South-East White corner and preen. Therefore at 2030 hours I left the site

Tuesday July 5, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
Minutes away for the Scarborough nest site, my cell phone was ringing with Linda on the other end warning me of yet another challenge. Loki, the juvenile female, had flown down to the telephone wires literally not more than 12 feet above the street level, directly above the exit ramp to the Golden Mile plaza. Moments later, we were hit by several huge downpours of rain. Despite the downpour, Loki hung tight to the wires and managed to stay put, even with the large gusts of wind that had her wings spread open on several different occasions while she tried to balance herself and stay on the wires.

Fearing that she would be blown off and/or attempt to escape this difficult situation, we poised ourselves to catch her up should she come to the roadway. The good news, she managed to hold on! After an hour of clinging to the telephone wires on the west side of Pharmacy Ave., and with several passes of the adults overhead trying to coax her to fly, she finally lifted off and flew east across Pharmacy Ave., landing on the overhead telephone cables on the opposite side of the road way, closer to the nest building. Again another hour passed and again with the adults' encouragement, she took flight again gaining altitude and finally landed on the communication tower to the east of the nest building. After three attempts and a bad landing, she finally landed safely on the tower.

Around 9 pm, she attempted another flight, this time successful in gaining enough altitude to make a hard landing on the east site of the nest building roof top. As darkness fell, and Loki hunkered down for the evening, we called it quits. Again many thanks to Marion, Linda, Bruce, Lenore, and several Bell Canada employees that were on hand during this watch.

Photos of Loki on the lower telephone lines, and Marion, Lenore, and Linda standing in wait on the watch.

(Webmaster's note:) Photos have been added to the Photo Gallery.

Monday July 4, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
Due to the fact the Galileo was so low on the tree when the watch was closed the night before, I had to be at the site before dawn. Therefore at 0420 hours I was at the site, and all I can say, is it is a good thing that peregrines have a white eyelid, because that is all I could see to tell me that the bird was still on the tree. Things got revved up are around 0445 hours vocally, and Rubin the adult male came in from the South-West with food. I could hear all three young, even Hermes who was so over in the Tower. For about 30 minutes or so, Laurie the adult female got really irate and sounded off, flew up to some trees, and even landed on the wires by the Street. (It was only yesterday, when I saw her stoop a raccoon that I figured what was going on. ).

At around 0620 hours a the female eyasis took off low,flying across Pharmacy Av. and landing on the first apartment building. She stayed there till approximately 1400 hours when I left for the day. Hermes, the several strong flights from the Tower, and even made it out over the plaza, and back to the top of the nest building. Galileo, flew South from the tree, made it back to the building and just above the nest ledge height and clung to the building for 10 seconds and then land on a tree near the gas station. About 20 ministers so later he tried to join his brother on the northeast corner of the nest building, just missed it by about a foot, and landed about 80 ft. up in the tower. This was basically the way the situation stayed up until 1400 hours, with the exception of the "Lads" honing their flying skills.

Mark Nash reports: evening shift

For the first time in as many days, this afternoon shift was quite un-eventful in comparison to the last five days. Loki, the juvenile female, remained on the roof of the nest building doing a lot of running around and screaming to her parents, who finally gave in to her calls for food.

The two juvenile males had many great flights back and forth from the nest building roof top to the tower, and several good flights chasing their parents around for food. Still seeing some very bad landings, but they are both still keeping their altitude.

Frank and Bruce tell me that the local raccoon was stooped by Lawrie (the adult female) in a large tree just in front of the nest ledge on the front lawn within the compound early this morning, but the resident ground hogs are not being stooped anymore. It looks like Lawrie has accepted their presence and no longer deems them a threat. But the raccoon seems to be quite another story!!

As of darkness, all three of the juveniles were on the nest building - upper roof, and quite content to snuggle up with each other for the night.

It is also worth noting that unlike many of the other nest sites over the past 10 years while we have been observing all of these juveniles, none of these guys at the Scarborough nest site have yet to return to the actual nest ledge. Both of the adults have returned at various times since the chicks have fledged (and continue to do so throughout the day - off and on), but the juveniles have not!
Very interesting indeed?????

Frank Butson reports: Arrived 6:30am,quickly found one juvenile on the roof of the nest building,one on the tower,and both parents on the tower.Eventually found the 3rd juvenile also on the tower.Seeing Loki on the roof of the building,I was reasonably sure a rescue and release had taken place,which given the alternative was a good thing.
715am Rueben(adult male) brings food onto the roof ledge of Bell building,and immediately Loki jumps on the meal and mantles.Rueben leaves,Galileo trys to steal meal from Loki(starling I believe) and Hermes flys over from the tower,to join in a 3 way tug of war. Hermes runs the ledge with his prize the winner of the tussle.
715am-1145am Sundry calling,many good flights by both Galileo and Hermes.
1145am Lawrie(adult female) stoops a Raccoon a few times.
Noon Loki makes a reasonably good flight,taking off from the northeast corner,disappearing around the Southwest corner and travelling half the length of the building before turning over it and landing back where she started. a better effort!

Sunday July 3, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
Many thanks to Bruce and Frank on the early morning shift, as the day exploded sometime just after 6 am this morning with Hermes and Galileo that kept them both running throughout much of the morning hours. With Hermes now taking advantage of his new flying skills, he had many good flights from the nest building to the large communications tower to the east. Very difficult to see on this tower for sure!! The parents were observed throughout the day teasing both Galileo and Hermes with food packages, encouraging them to fly, and keeping us all running most of the day. By mid morning, both Linda and Marion joined us to help out with the watch. Now armed with a good size watch crew, and combined with the new set of 2-way radios having been purchased the day before, we were able to cover the entire area all around the nest building to keep up with all of the juveniles' flights. Loki, the juvenile female, also had her part in the chaos, as she took flight for her maiden flight very very low over Pharmacy Ave, and was able to find a very hard landing on one of the low rise apartment building roof tops, where she stayed most of the day, screaming throughout most of the day to her parents as they flew overhead with various food packages.

By late afternoon, we were joined by Sam, one of the Ontario hawking club members, who spent the balance of the day with us on the watch - and thank goodness he did!! Just after 6 pm, Marion screamed out on the radio as the juvenile female, "Loki", took her second flight from her roost on the apartment building roof top, flying east across Pharmacy Ave., in an attempt to get back to the nest ledge with terrible results. Unable to gain any altitude, Loki made contact with the west wall of the nest building, clinging to the side of the wall like a bat for several minutes, then dropping down the side of the building several floors in height to end up in the driveway of th