The Canadian Peregrine Foundation


July - September 2005

Saturday September 24, 2005
Harry Crawford reports:
Both adults were on the nest ledge, in different sections, when I passed the area at 12pm.

Thursday September 1, 2005
Mark Nash reports:
With fall just around the corner, reports have been streaming in that things have got very quiet at many of the urban nests sites, and with the absence of the juveniles, it is nice to see at least that many of the urban adults are still on territory, with reports of many of them still spending time on the nest ledges.

Now independent, and hunting on their own, it would appear that many of the juveniles have either moved on, or have dramatically expanded their hunting areas taking them farther away from the home territories. We remember years past, while very closely monitoring some of the peregrine nest sites, we witnessed the adults on more than one occasion actually chasing their offspring out of the territory as October moved in. It is believed that the adults reach a point that they will simply no longer tolerate the harassment for food from their offspring, (in addition to sharing the territory with the kids), and "encourage" their young to move on. Sooner or later, the urge move on overwhelms them, as in the peregrine release sites that we have been doing over the years, the juveniles simply stop returning to the hack boxes for the food being provided by the hack site attendants.

Thursday August 25, 2005
Jan Chudy reports:
Running along King Street this morning approaching Leader Lane at 7:35 I spotted an adult on the ledge of 18 King. Based on the size, I think it was Mandy. I then had the joy of seeing the juvenile fly over King from the south and settle on the south side of 20 Toronto Street. He immediately began screaming - presumably for breakfast. I waited five minutes while his screaming continued - no action from the adult.

Saturday August 13, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
Three peregrine are seen in the King and Victoria St. area. The juvenile making a lot of noise while chasing the adults, to different roof tops. Couldn't see if the juvenile was the one with injured leg.

Friday August 5, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
I spent a good part of the day looking for the "lame" juvenile. Around 1:30, while in the upper areas of the King Edward Hotel, I could hear the juvenile calling for food, but could not see him. The adult was present on the nest ledge.
5:00 pm. I returned for a second try and found the "lame" juvenile on the nest ledge and one adult on the lower ledge of the Scotia Plaza. Of course I took my eyes off the pair momentarily and when I looked again, both were gone and didn't see them come into my viewing area.

August 2005
Linda Woods reports:
During the last week of July, the CPF head office received and a report from a person in one of the offices at # 18 King St. She reported that a juvenile was having problems with its landings and seemed to be awkward in it's walking.
Paul had confirmed the persons reports and finally on Saturday I was able to witness, the juvenile with the problem leg. It appears that this young bird may have a broken leg as the leg dangles when in flight and is also apparent when the bird is at rest. The leg looks "out of place" and is not tucked under him when on a ledge.
All observations of this bird are greatly appreciated and should be sent into the webmaster and copied to Mark and Linda.
We would like to know that the juvenile is feeding well and is not having difficulty on its own. Please include the date of sighting, time and location and the appearance of the bird.

Saturday July 23, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
This morning walking along Adelaide St. I saw one juvenile on the north side of the King Edward Hotel, on the ledge below the Crystal Ball room windows. Didn't see any the adults or the other juveniles at this time.

Bruce Massey reports: For this observation, I will combine both the King St. site and the Sheraton Nest Site. To to do this, I walked north on Church to Queen Street, west on Queen to University Avenue south on University Avenue to to Queens Quay, and east on Queens Quay back Jarvis and then north back to King. I saw nothing in the vicinity of the Sheridan Nest Site. It wasn't until I was on Queens Quay that I saw a bird on the southeast corner of the King Edward Hotel. When I got up to King and Church, I had two birds on the north side of the King Edward on the lower ledge. I went over to Toronto St. and a third, obviously immature came in from 33 Victoria. That bird missed it so . landing, and headed back to 33 Victoria. As for the two birds on the King Edward, it was hard to tell whether or not I had two immatures, or one immature and the Tercel. Eventually, all three flew out of sight in the vicinity of 33 Victoria and the Excelsior building. I had to to back off to just north of Adelaide and Church and got all three birds in sight. The third bird, was in a non-usual area, that being where the Excelsior building meets with 33 Victoria. However the bird was facing with its back to me and flew off before I could ascertain whether it was the Tercel or immature. So all I can really say, is that I can confirm having two immatures (Possibly 3) and one adult.

In my travels, I also found out why the Peregrine Watch was not dealing with downed American kestrels this year. It looks as if they had relocated down in the vicinity of St. Lawrence Market. I saw at least three of them in my travels, and what appeared to be in immature male and he was having a little difficulty, but it is staying at height.

Friday July 22, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
This evening after I was checking on the King St. camera, I looked around the area and found one juvenile on the louvered ledges next to the nest ledge. No other juveniles were seen at this time.

Zoe Berger reports: I had the pleasure of seeing three falcons flying round and round in the area of Toronto/Church/King/Adelaide - at a bit after 1 pm on Friday. There was wonderful flying, tag, touching etc. that lasted at least 2-3 minutes at which point they all disappeared out of view The only concern is, there were only three. And as usual, it all happened so fast, I couldn't tell if one was a female or not. It seemed like three kids. Have to wonder why the 4th wasn't there.... I'll check when I go to the Market tomorrow. That was a real treat.

Thursday July 21, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
King St. and Leader Lane, two juveniles are seen on the cooling tower of CHFI. and one adult on the east side of Scotia Plaza.

Friday July 15, 2005
Paul Marshman reports:
Around 2 p.m. Zoe and I watched from Leader Lane as two of the chicks soared and played in the air from King St. down to Front St. They were flying very well, making big stoops and mid-air manoeuvres. We then looked over and found a third chick on the St. James spire, proving at least three were still with us.

Around 4 p.m. I passed by again and saw three chicks in the air, playing a big game of tag. One settled down on the condo south of the King Edward Hotel, while the other two continued their game. Walking down to Front St., I found one of them sitting on the little "widow's walk" on top of the Beardsmore Building -- another first. Meanwhile, I found another chick on the steeple. Unless one of the birds I saw flying was really an adult, this means I saw all four at the same time.

Thursday July 14, 2005
Linda Woods reports:
This morning while on the search for the missing juvenile from the Sheraton Hotel site, I witnessed an adult chasing a juvenile over the Union Station Bay St. bridge. The juvenile was screaming and drew my attention skyward. I then walked south under the bridge to the Air Canada Centre and didn't see any further activity from the pair.
On scanning the south side of the buildings from this location I did see an juvenile on the south side of the EDS building , located on Front St, across from the Hummingbird Centre. I made my way back to that area to confirm that it was not the bird from the Sheraton Hotel site, but a juvenile from the King St. nest.

Paul Marshman reports: About 8 p.m. I walked around the neighbourhood and saw the female chick on the glass shoulder of One Toronto St., while a second chick hopped back and forth from the condo on Wellington St. to the King Edward Hotel. Suddenly there was a lot of flapping and there were three birds in the air. The female flew back to One Toronto, accompanied by an adult, but the third bird flew to the back of the King Edward with pey in its talons and set about eating it. A close look ascertained that this bird was a chick, so it either caught the prey or took it from the adult. Either way, these chicks look close to fending for themselves.

Sunday July 10, 2005
Bruce Massey reports:
As I was around intersection of King and Church, I saw one immature flying Southwest and then make a stoop over the Wellington Street Park. Very soon after that, an adult the back to the north with food followed by at immature. That immature look very small and I would say it was a male. They flew between One Toronto and Paul and Neill's condo. I then walked up to St. James Rectory, and saw a bird, which appeared to be larger than the first one I saw (female immature) land on a light on the side of the Excelsior Building ( Building on the South-West corner of Toronto and Adelaide St.). She did a 90 degree stoop down and then chased the pigeon over the low buildings on the side of Toronto Street, and then down to the top of tree level of the Court Street Park, I then lost her as she crossed Church Street. In the rest of the observation time, I also confirmed the presence of the two adults. Unfortunately, those are the only two immatures I saw. There are, I can only confirm 2 adults and 2 immatures seen.

Monday July 4, 2005
Paul Marshman reports:
Between 1 and 2 p.m. Harry and I watched from Leader Lane as the chicks spent another active noon hour. This time two males played catch for a good half-hour. Again, they made long flights as they chased each other all over the neighbourhood, occasionally putting down on top of the King Edward Hotel or St. James Cathedral. Another chick watched from the cathedral spire, where it had spent much of the morning. I had three chicks in sight at one time, and Neil reported seeing all four at once, which reassures me that they're all still alive and well. I hadn't seen more than two at once since last Thursday. Both parents were on the nest ledge throughout the action, although Windwhistler left after 1:30. Later Mandy soared for a long time between Church and Jarvis Streets, apparently hunting. I didn't see her return with food.

Sunday July 3, 2005
Paul Marshman reports:
The chicks have apparently begun to spread out and a becoming harder to find. However, they have begun to spend a lot of time on the spire of St. James Cathedral. Two of them spent much of yesterday on one of the rings that run around the spire, and were there in the evening until dark. This morning, I found a chick on one of the higher rings, where it stayed for hours. Around 7 p.m. I found a lone chick sitting on the weather vane of the cathedral -- a first for them. A second chick was hunkered down on the chimney of the King Edward Hotel. I haven't seen more than two chicks at one time for a few days.

Saturday July 2, 2005
Harry Crawford reports:
Passing by the downtown nest area at 9:50am, I spotted the three juvenile males: one was on the south east corner of the nest building, one was on the ledge, just south of the nest area and one was on First Financial, facing inwards. When I came by again at 10:20am, I met up with Paul. Together, we looked around and didn`t see anything. Suddenly, one of the immature males flew south past the face of the nest building and landed on the top of the King Edward chimney. It was a beautiful glide, not unlike that of an adult. A couple of minutes later, he flew over to the railing of the CHFI cooling tower. Yesterday, I came by around 10am and didn`t see anything except the adult male on the east side of Scotia Plaza.

| Archive Index | Previous period | Next period |

Canadian Peregrine Foundation