Successful release of “Avro” (Blue tape)!

June 26, 2019 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Mark Nash Reports:

June 25th - 2019

We are happy to report that little Avro, (Blue tape) was successfully retrieved by Rob and released back to his parents care after being trapped behind one of the glass balconies overnight - last night.

The CPF head office received yet another call,, (one of the many that we get at this time of year from all over the province) about a trapped hawk on a balcony, unable to figure out how to get free from one of the glass balconies where it was trapped. This time, the call came in from the security desk at the condo’s out behind the Etobicoke nest site at Bloor and Islington in Etobicoke. The “hawk” was quickly identified by its band number as being Avro,, the young Etobicoke fledgling with the Blue coloured tape,,, (not a hawk).

A big thank you to both the owner resident for contacting their security, and security for calling us so quickly, and to rob who was able to respond to its aid so quickly! An additional big thank you to the management group CBRE and their security staff who have been so accommodating for the CPF staff and volunteers for allowing us access to their facilities and for housing the down fledglings that we have been rescuing until their release can be done safely. Some pretty great foster parents indeed!!

So today, the little fledgling named Avro, the one that has been struggling all along with his first few flights was re-released back to his parents care to the rooftop of the nest building without incident. It is quite evident that he is not the strongest fledgling that I have ever had to deal with, despite the fact that he is quite healthy and full of attitude!

By the time I got back down to the sidewalk, Avro had finally been able to get from the rooftop to the top of the 5 foot retaining wall that surrounds the roof and was roosting and balancing on the ledge of same just fine. He was joined by one of his siblings, and moments later, by one of his parents. :-))

Later this evening, reports / observations from Lucie who attended the Etobicoke nest site reported that he was fed by one of his parents and remained on the upper retaining wall ledge until dark.