The Canadian Peregrine Foundation


July - September 2003

Tuesday September 30, 2003
Harry Crawford reports:
I arrived at Court and Toronto shortly after 1pm and found Neil and Bob watching Spike and Mandy up on the nest ledge. This is the first time I'd seen both peregrines together in over two weeks. They took turns disappearing down to the floor of the ledge.

Sunday September 28, 2003
Linda Woods reports:
11:30 am: Mandy is seen on the former nest ledge at 18 King St. I see her there regularly around the same time. I haven't seen both adults together at 18 King for a while now.

Thursday September 25, 2003
Jan Chudy reports:
Hi all!! There has not been much activity around First Canadian Place - only occasionally sightings of birds at the Sheraton. Passing 18 King this morning at 7:30 I could see no sign of birds on any of the regular ledges. However, as I crossed at Yonge and King, one bird was soaring around the intersection. I watched for a couple of minutes. I'm glad to see they are still around.

10:45 am: Returning to my office I saw both birds flying around the Sheraton. I lost sight of them (my binocs are in being repaired) but then saw one fly up to the Sheraton ledge and go in. A red letter day for me!!

Monday September 1, 2003
Linda Woods reports:
Hi everyone. 5:30p.m. Adult male sitting on the north-east corner of National Life building (corner of Elm and University Ave), with prey. He stayed there a while and did not munch down on his catch. Approximately 20 minutes later he flew off towards the south, with the prey in talons. This was a banded bird ( can't be sure but I think it had a black band on the right).

Thursday August 28, 2003
Marcel Gabhauer reports:
Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria's legacy lives on! Today I received word of a peregrine in Flint, Michigan which had perched on a window ledge long enough for the observer to read the colour band and even part of the USFWS band. According to our records, they are a match for Majesty, one of the five from Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria's last brood in 2002. As far as I know, this is the first report we have had from any of them in 2003, so this is very encouraging news. I will attempt to track down the observer to see whether more details about her visit are available.

Wednesday August 27, 2003
Linda Woods reports:
09:30 - Looking east along King St. at Yonge, One adult could be seen on the east side of the King Edward Hotel. Must have been Windwhistler, one of his favourite spots to have a little snack..

Monday August 11, 2003
Jan Chudy reports:
A bird was in view on the Sheraton ledge at 8:50 a.m. On checking at 9:50 the bird was still there and as I watched it took a short slow looped flight and returned to the ledge. At 10 o'clock, another short loop, this time to land on the top of the "n" in Sheraton, then another to land on the "t".

Checking between 10:05 and 1:20 I saw no sign of birds. At 1:25 a bird flew slowly by my north facing 61st floor window going west. It was only about 30 feet out from the building. Judging from the wiggles, I guess it was Spike. No more activity for the balance of the day.

Thursday August 7, 2003
Jan Chudy reports:
One bird spotted at the Sheraton at 10:20 am and then nothing until 4:40. I arrived at King and Victoria at 5:15 and found both birds on the south west corner of 20 Toronto. One was sitting facing west and the other had it's rear end hanging over the corner and appeared to be working on a kill. At 5:20 the other bird then took off, flying low straight north up Toronto Street. I watched the other bird work away on its kill, laughing out loud on a couple of occasions when a spray of feathers would erupt in the air. At 5:35 it turned around, showing itself to be Mandy, and flew off to the 18 King ledge, leaving the prey on the roof. She promptly popped down behind the ledge and within two minutes popped back up again. I left at approx. 5:45.

Wednesday August 6, 2003
Jan Chudy reports:
I arrived at Toronto Street at 5:30. Mandy was on the ledge at 18 King and an other bird (Spike?) was on the very top left corner of Scotia Plaza. At 5:45 Mandy flew over to the top NW corner of the King Eddie. A few seconds later, the other bird flew a wide loop south west around Scotia plaza and I lost sight of it. I left at 5:50.

Wednesday August 6, 2003
Jan Chudy reports:
I couldn't wait until the end of the day to send this in.

Between 9:25 and 10 there was a bird at the Sheraton, either on the ledge, or for quite some time sitting in the back of the nest box. I went over to Toronto Street arriving about 1:15 to find Neil in place. One bird was on the ledge with it's back facing out. Neil advised that it had been there for some time. When I left at 2 it was still there. When I got back to my office at First Canadian Place at 2:05 there was a bird in the nest box. It remained there. Shortly before 3 when I checked, I couldn't see a bird on the ledge or in the box. However, checking the logo, one bird was sitting on the upward curl of the last "e" in Centre (where I had seen it on Friday). I thought I saw a second bird behind the bottom of the "e" but could not confirm. I left my office and returned at 3:30. As I scanned the "e" 2 birds flew off to the west and then swept up University Avenue where I lost them at Dundas.

Harry may be right - the ones I am seeing at the Sheraton could be the mid-town pair checking out a new locale!

4:10. What an exciting day - and I am happy to confirm I have a witness - the young lawyer in the office next door has been watching with me. Further to my last report, I just happened to look out my window a few minutes ago and saw two birds floating west of the Sheraton. They then proceeded to perform aerobatics flying one upside down of the other - only just missing touching and wheeling and flipping. They climbed higher and higher, still performing their show and I lost them high over Yonge Street.

Thursday July 31, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: An aerial chase was observed high above Scotia Plaza but identification could not be verified. A one point, there appeared to be three birds in the air.

Arriving at Toronto and Court at 5:15, one bird was observed on the ledge north of the nest. Much preening! At 5:25 a second bird arrived - I could not verify if it carried prey. Both birds dropped down behind the ledge. At 5:35 Mandy popped up on the third ledge from the north, followed by Spike at 5:45 who settled on the third ledge from the south. At 5:50 Mandy dropped down behind the ledge and then popped up again five minutes later. I left shortly after six and both birds were still on the ledges.

Wednesday July 30, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: A bird was observed either in the nest box or on the ledge between 4:40 and 4:50.

Tuesday July 29, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: No sightings at Sheraton.

Monday July 28, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between 8:55 and 12:35 a bird was constantly in view, either on the Sheraton ledge on in the nest box. It was again viewed on the ledge between 4:10 and 4:25.

Friday July 25, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between noon and 3:40 a bird was either on the Sheraton ledge, or in the nest box, and on one occasion was perched on the top west corner of 111 Richmond Street.

Sunday July 27, 2003
Debbie Johnson of Toledo, Ohio reports: Angus (male), one of three 2001 offspring of Victoria and Pounce-Kingsley has been nesting here in Toledo, Ohio USA since last spring 2002 when he took over the territory, sending the resident male (Fury) to rehab with broken wing. The eggs were already laid. This year for 2003, he and his mate hacked from Dayton, Ohio produced 4 eggs, 3 hatched, and 3 fledged. See State of Ohio DNR website for nesting information. You can register or go on as a guest. At the top of the page, click on: Forums. You will see several threads regarding various topics. Find and click on: Falcon News Around the World. Scroll to find Commodore Perry in Toledo Ohio. Click. There are several informative posts and the attachments are downloadable pictures for you to peruse. The Toledo thread was started in Spring, 2003. For Toledo's nesting information (Angus' 2003 family), click here (

I work near the Commodore Perry nest site and visited a couple times to observe with my binoculars. I've known about our town's falcons for years, however, last spring, It was loud birds squawking that drew a co-worker and myself to our 9th floor office window on Superior Ave. (which is located one block north of the nest site). I asked my co-worker what was going on?! We saw two large birds in hot pursuit flying below us. She responded "that's the falcons from the Commodore Perry" and we quietly returned to our work. I think somehow it has left an imprint on me and I'm now an avid falcon watcher. Whether we were witness to a confrontation between Fury and Angus remains a mystery, but that is the assumption.

I understand Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria were well loved by Toronto and the world and so it is an honor to have Angus in Toledo.

Wednesday July 23, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between 6:50 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. there were many sightings of a bird at the Sheraton ledge. From shortly after 4 p.m. until 5 p.m. the bird was either sitting in the nest box or walking back and forward at the back of the ledge. Perhaps we need to check out the ledge again from close up. At Toronto Street, I arrived at 12:55 and shortly thereafter Mandy arrived low from the north to the 2nd ledge from the north. At 1 p.m. she turned around and jumped down out of view. At 1:10 she popped up again, this time on the first ledge from the north.

I returned at 5:25 and as I was walking east on King I could clearly see a bird on the top north-west corner of the King Eddie. It remained there until 5:40 when it flew to 18 King and dropped down behind the louver of the third ledge from the south, hardly braking at all. At 5:50 the bird popped up on the ledge where it remained for 5 minutes before flying to perch on the antenna of the radio station. As I was leaving at 6:10, the bird flew off but I did not see where.

Tuesday July 22, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between 2:00 and 3:45 a bird was viewed on several occasions on the Sheraton ledge

Monday July 21, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between 9:50 and 1:35 a bird was viewed on several occasions on the Sheraton ledge.

Sunday July 20, 2003
Linda Woods reports: 10:45 - Vocalizing heard in the Leader Lane area. Windwhistler approaches the nest building from the south-east and sets down on # 33 Victoria St. with prey. Mandy not in view and Juno has not been seen so far. South side of the Sheraton Hotel was checked earlier and no activity seen in that area.

Saturday July 19, 2003
Harry Crawford reports: I searched for Juno from 7am until 10:30am starting on Victoria from Dundas to King. Nothing was seen in the nest area including First Financial, St. James, the King Edward or Scotia Plaza. I continued over to Yonge, south to Queen`s Quay, east to Cherry, south to Unwin, east to the Hearn generating station, returning back to Cherry and the King St area. Nothing was seen. There was also nothing visible in the nest area as seen from Cherry St at 10:21am.

Wednesday July 16, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: A bird came and went on the Sheraton ledge between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Thursday July 17, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: No activity seen at any time on the Sheraton ledge. I walked over to Toronto Street at the end of the day, arriving at 5:10. One bird, Mandy I believe, was on the 2nd ledge from the north at 18 King. I walked over to Leader Lane and spotted Spike on one of the ledges of Scotia Plaza. Both remained in place until I left about 5:50.

Tuesday July 15, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: No sign of any birds at the Sheraton site throughout the morning. I visited Toronto Street at lunchtime. When I arrived no birds were visible. I walked to the back of the King Eddie and saw nothing. When I got back to Toronto Street 5 minutes later, Neil and Harry were there observing a bird, who we determined was Mandy, on 18 King. No action although we did have a number of people stopping to ask what we were doing. Handed out postcards and web address papers. The afternoon viewing of the Sheraton went as follows:
2:50 bird on the ledge;
2:55 bird on nest box at back of ledge;
3:15 bird on ledge;
3:40 bird on ledge;
4:00 no bird

Back to Toronto Street arriving at 5:15. Nothing visible. Walked to check back of King Eddie then back to Toronto Street at 5:20 and found one bird on 18 King. Not much activity until it started to rain at 5:30. As soon as the rain started, the bird started vocalizing, gave a few flaps and then flew off slowly to the top north west corner of the King Eddie where it seemed to be cleaning out its feathers in the rain. At 5:45 it flew off slowly to the south west and I lost sight of it.

Sunday July 13, 2003
Harry Crawford reports: From Court and Toronto at 7:10am, Mandy was on the north side of the King Edward and Spike was on the nest ledge of 18 King East. There was a dead pigeon lying on the sidewalk beside me. It was likely Mandy`s as Spike probably would have retrieved it if it was his (see Marshman, June 13 sighting). At 7:16am Spike flew over to the King Edward roof out of view. Mandy was still in her spot when I headed to Cloud Garden at 7:45am. I searched for Juno from 7 until around 10am without success. The areas covered were: Victoria from Dundas to King; several trips around the King and Victoria area; Cloud Garden including the west side of Scotia Plaza; Bay to Queen`s Quay and then west to Bathurst, covering all sides of Canada Malting, and finally back to Spadina and Queen`s Quay. There was something in the back of the Sheraton ledge but it disappeared the second time I was by and there was also something on the south, hidden roof at 20 Toronto, but it could be a carcass from a previous kill.

Saturday July 12, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: About 4 p.m. I took a good look around the Jarvis-to-Sherbourne St. area, checking all the condos for signs of Juno. I didn't see anything. Returning to Leader Lane, I heard some vocalizing and found Spike on the nest ledge, chirping away. Turning around, I found another peregrine on one of the knobs of St. James. It was sitting sideways so I couldn't see the breast, and by the time I walked over to look, it was gone. Meanwhile, Spike had flown up to the Scotia Tower, and in a minute I saw the second peregrine flying circles in front of the tower. I tried hard to see if it was an adult or a chick, but it was hard due to the lighting. I think I saw some white around the head, so I'm assuming it was Mandy. It certainly flew well -- after soaring back and forth for a while, it approached the steps of the tower and then did a startling vertical stoop down out of sight. It then reappeared at rooftop level, and flew southward out of sight at top speed.

I've noticed the adults sitting on the spire much more in the past few days. On Thursday or Friday, I found Spike sitting on the spire in the rain, right about where Kingsley and Victoria used to sit out rainstorms -- I still don't know why

Harry Crawford reports: At 7:00am, both Spike and Mandy were on the east side of Scotia Plaza. Spike disappeared at 7:20am and was seen chasing a gull shortly after. He ended up on First Financial. There was a peregrine on the south side of the Sheraton Centre, old nest ledge, at 8:10am. Five minutes later it took off to the north east. Looking back from the Adelaide side of First Financial at 8:20am, I could see something in the Sheraton Centre ledge. It was back from the ledge and on the west side. I couldn`t see what it was. I checked the downtown nest area, Court and Toronto, at 8:24am and found Mandy on the nest ledge and Spike on the south west corner of 20 Toronto. I then went back to the Sheraton Centre but couldn`t make anything out that close to the building. I didn`t see any sign of Juno unless that was him on the Sheraton.

Thursday July 10, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: I got to Toronto Street about 5:10. An adult, Spike, I think, was on 18 King. After about 20 minutes he flew south east over the King Eddie. I went to the back of the parking lot and he was on the top south east corner of the hotel. After a few minutes, he flew off and perched on one of the knobs of the Cathedral spire. I then walked to the condo at 166 King and convinced the guard to let me on the roof at the penthouse. I walked all around but saw no sign of Juno. Spike was still on the cathedral spire. I gave up at 6 since I was thoroughly soaked.

Wednesday July 9, 2003
Paul Marshman reports: Assembled in the streets, the watch crew, - with Linda, Maya, Bruce, Neil, Mark, Jan, Chris and myself, radio's in hand we positioned ourselves for the release. Juno was finally released after his recuperation from a back injury, on top of the nest building, with yours truly taking pictures to record the moment. . He was very feisty, and immediately flew across to the King Edward Hotel, where he landed near one of his old resting spots. However, Spike was on him almost instantly, and aggressively chased him around the neighbourhood, joined by Mandy. After a several minutes of pursuit, Juno fled south towards the lakeshore and disappeared from our view.

A few minutes later Bruce spotted him on top of the Royal Bank building several blocks west of the nest building , but he took off and was observed once again being aggressively chased toward the eastward by both parents. According to those watchers positioned to the east, who saw the chase, the parents weren't being overly aggressive during these serious of flights, but there was much vocalizing going on, loud enough to hear form the street level . Mandy returned to the nest and Spike took up a post on top of the St. James spire, looking east. There was no sign of Juno as darkness fell.  Click here for photos.

Tuesday July 8, 2003
Paul Marshman reports: Some good news has finally come in regarding Juno. We received news that Juno was finally being discharged from OVC, and arrangements were made to pick him up from the Ontario Vet. Collage in Guelph. Due to the time, traffic, and the three plus hours to drive to Guelph through Toronto rush hour to pick Juno up and return back to Toronto, it left us both out of time and day light to do the release during daylight. Linda was on the telephone arranging the watch crew, and it was decided that all could be assembled by tomorrow, when he could be released in the day light, with a full watch crew on hand in the streets just in case a further rescue was needed. Building management was contacted to make arrangements to gain permission to access to the nest building roof for the release. Juno appeared in fine spirits, a little lean, but in true flying weight and condition. Lots of energy!!

Sunday July 6, 2003
Linda Woods reports: 09:00 - Viewing from Leader Lane, the adults are not in view and I haven't seen any activity in the area during the last two days I have dropped by. I checked the south side of the Sheraton Hotel, but I think it was the sun reflecting off the far back of the ledge that gave me the impression a peregrine was sitting in the back of the ledge. I doubled checked the Sheraton from York St. but did not see the adults at all.

Friday July 4, 2003
Maya Basdeo reports: I paid a visit to Dr. Taylor and Dr. Malka at the OVC Wild Bird Clinic in Guelph to check on our Juno. He is finishing his round of antibiotics and they were hopeful of his return to us on Monday July 7, providing there is no evidence of a secondary infection. He seems to be healing quite well and is happier with his natural diet of birds. They asked the CPF to drop off some quail to keep at OVC in the event of another emergency. As peregrine falcons are exclusively bird eaters it is necessary to provide them with the closest thing to their natural diet as possible when they are in captivity, especially when there has been an injury sustained.

Thank you to Dr. Taylor, Dr. Malka, and staff at OVC for taking care of these very special, very rare and still endangered raptors. Every bird we can get quickly and safely back to the wild is one more step to helping this fragile species recover.

Thursday July 3, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: From 3:30 p.m. until 5:10 p.m. and adult was a the Sheraton ledge, either on the edge of the ledge or sitting on the box.

Wednesday July 3, 2003
Jan Chudy reports: Between 9 am and 5:20 pm I saw a peregrine many times on the Sheraton ledge.

Linda Woods reports: Update on Juno! On June 26, 2003 CPF received a call from Toronto Humane Society. A young peregrine falcon had been picked up from a residential area east downtown Toronto. A concerned resident in the Oak St. area had seen the young bird and out of concern, called the Toronto Humane Society. Identified by his band numbers, Juno was picked up and delivered to the Toronto Humane Society.

Juno has sustained injuries indicative of an altercation with another raptor, presumably the nesting pair of resident Red Tail Hawks. Juno has a tear in the skin down to the muscle on his back. He was released from the Toronto Humane Society to Mark Nash at the CPF, who transferred Juno to Mark Heaton of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, and was then transferred to the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph where Juno remains on a course of antibiotics after his wound was sutured.

Tuesday July 1, 2003
Linda Woods reports: CPF was called by the Ontario Veterinary College asking if could provide them with quail for Juno since they only keep mice on hand for raptors.

Maya from the CPF was dispatched to Guelph and quail was delivered. I'm sure Juno is much happier eating food more natural to his species. At this time Maya had an opportunity to see Juno. She reports that he looks healthy and appears to be doing well. She also had an opportunity to reiterate to O.V.C. that Juno is still dependant on the adults for food and had not learned to hunt for himself as yet. The sooner he his reunited with the adults his chances of survival increase. Juno should be returning hopefully sometime within the week.

The downtown watch crew look forward to him rejoining the adults, Windwhistler and Mandy and following his progress after his time away from his home territory.


| Archive Index | Previous period | Next period |

(or choose from selected popular links below)

| Home | News | Chapters | Talon Tales | Search |

| Membership | Adopt a Peregrine | Gift Shop |
| About CPF | CPF Projects | Project Track-'em | Education Program |

| Webcams | Photo Galleries | Sightings | Identification Tips |
| Peregrine information | Owls | Other Raptors | Links |

Canadian Peregrine Foundation