The Canadian Peregrine Foundation


May - June 2004

Tuesday June 29, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
06:30 - 9:00p.m. All four juveniles are still on the ledge. The little guy "Sheraton- Chinook" was still looking a little "dirty" and with an empty crop, looked like the poor boy on the block. When food was brought in, his larger sister took of the food and "Sheraton-Chinook" didn't get anything to eat this time. A second morsel was delivered to the ledge and this time Sheraton was front and centre and made sure he had it first and wasn't going to let anything get in his way. He grabbed it and ran to the far reaches of the ledge and chowed down on it. It soon became apparent that his prize wasn't much, only a scrawny wing bit. 07:00hrs. Tornado takes flight and makes it over to 120 Adelaide St. a typical first time landing but managed to stay put. His morning was spent walking along the roof edge, and for a change of view, he went the other direction. Food was eventually dropped to him and his brother also joined him for a meal. Hurricane later returned to the nest ledge, and left the new comer on his own. Lunch Hour and Tornado could not longer resist the temptation to return to the ledge to join his siblings. Off he went. (please see Jan Chudy's notes on this event). After looking and searching numerous times, we have not found him. I will try early in the morning and hope someone will hear him calling. 9:00p.m. Sheraton-Chinook", Hurricane, Monsoon ( the young female) were settling down for the night on the ledge. No word on the whereabouts of Tornado. All the juveniles are being well looked after by Wind and are getting plenty to eat.

Jan Chudy reports: What a roller-coaster of a day!! Started out with to learn that Sheraton-Chinook was none the worse the wear after his chimney adventure and ended with Tornado missing.

I was watching the ledge and 120 Adelaide just after noon. At one point three chicks were on the NE corner, then one moved along and down on to the top of one of the pillars where some food had been left - Mandy sometimes eats there. Another chick, which turned out to be Tornado walked/flapped down the edge to join its sibling, who then took off and made a perfect flight back to the Sheraton ledge after a short loop around the new opera house site and was enthusiastically greeted by mom and sister. A second chick took off from 120 and did a loop around the Sheraton and Nathan Phillips Square then landed on the SE corner of the Sheraton roof. Shortly after it took off, it went to the nest ledge then took off again.

At approximately 12:25, Tornado decided to go for it and flew off 120 Adelaide. He went across towards the hotel, then looped around then went north west over the park between City Hall and Osgoode Hall. The he flew back, turned east and headed straight behind 20 Queen West (Cadillac Fairview Tower). During this time, two of my colleagues were also observing. He was flying well, but had no significant altitude - perhaps half the height of the CF tower. None of us saw him exit from behind 20 Queen.

Linda dispatched Bruce to the area. I left my colleagues watching (thanks Jacinta and Paige!) and ran over to 20 Queen where I know some people in other law firms there. I went to the 33rd floor and introduced myself to the tenant on the north side. I scanned all the rooftops north and east and could see nothing. I went back down to Queen and then east to Victoria, north to Shuter (checked behind the laneways on the west side) then back to Yonge Street, through the Eaton Centre and checked around Old City Hall. No sign of Tornado. I had to return to work. Throughout the day I (and one of my colleagues) checked the skies, but no sighting.

Monday June 28, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
07:30a.m. - 10:00p.m. Lots happening today and too much information to go into great detail without creating a book. So I will do my best to recreate all the interesting details without making too dry as well. 

The trapped bird from yesterday finally dropped down out of its "cell" and the rescue does not happen. It is fine and no apparent injuries. I find the missing Sheraton bird early in the morning much closer to the other site, which made me question "which site is this bird from" The juveniles that remain unfledged are showing more character everyday and can be comical at times. An adult female has captured a gull! and taken it to 120 Adelaide Street. I look away to check on the other birds and return my sight to the gull and there are two juveniles feasting. I have to wonder if the second juvenile is a Sheraton bird. Doesn't seem possible that a young bird screaming for attention is now up much higher and is perfectly fine to share the feast with another.

 Lots of flights taken by the two fledged juveniles, good landings by one and the other needs a little more practise but does manage to stick the landings. Lots of activity by the adults and once again the "shell game" is happening. Once again a bird is low and we follow it closely. It is off again at around 4:30p.m. it tries to land on a window sill on 120 Adelaide St. and regains the flight pattern. It does a harder brush on 130 Adelaide and take longer to recover but manages to regain control as it approaches a lower building on Richmond St. it touches down on the edge of a smoke stack. The momentum of the landing pulls the juvenile forward and into the smoke stack itself and disappears from view!!! The rush is on to get to this bird! Bruce heads to the building. I don't know the address of the building but direct him to the proper front door on Richmond St. Jan is closely behind and is deeply concerned as was I. Mark Nash was called and the rescue of this bird was on. We needed to act quickly as time was not on our side in this type of situation. We did not know if this smoke stack was live or idle for the summer. Was it attached to a boiler system, or was it for incineration.? Delays occurred from getting access to the actual building being near the end of the day for offices. Jan made a few phone calls to people she knew who worked for Colliers. This set the rescue in motion, although we did have to wait what seemed like an eternity for security to arrive. We all ran up to the roof to discover that the chimney led down to the basement of this building. We finally got to the door of the "furnace" After such a long delay I thought it was hopeless and our little guy much have perished in the heat and gases. Bruce opened the door and all he got was a face full of soot and a bigger face full of hissing peregrine. IT WAS ALIVE! It survived the almost 9 story drop into the basement of this building and luckily, the burner was not on. We were all shocked. Bruce was pale after this, having experienced this same type of rescue years previous, but with very very sad results. Jan and I were in tears, and the security officer and our escort "into" the building stood there in disbelief. Bruce wraps the bird in a towel and passes it to me as I place it in the rescue box. I checked his band numbers, and it is no other than "SHERATON-CHINOOK" named for the Sheraton Hotel and the Chinook breezes that warm a cold winter day in the mountains. Jan is so pleased that she was part of this and we appreciate all that this woman does for the birds. Sheraton birds are very lucky to have such a great group of people watching out for them. The peregrines are literally surrounded by guardian angels. 

Mark Nash arrives on site and evaluates the bird's condition. A very dirty little bird, and no apparent injuries from this ordeal. We check the bird again in an hour and give a little sprits of water. He is fine and we place back with his siblings on the far reaches of the nest ledge in the dark so he can wake up in the morning and think that all this must be a bad dream. 

During all this activity the other juvenile has returned to the ledge. All four juveniles are now accounted for and when Mark and I close the site for the night. They are all hunkered down in the corner. With the exception of "Sheraton" he is sitting on the ledge, looking towards the city buildings contemplating of " What went wrong".

 Many many Thanks to Andrew Meanchoff - COLLIERS INTERNATIONAL INTERCON SECURITY- for their quick response to our unusual situation. Joe - building supervisor Jan Chudy- volunteer/member and dear friend to the birds.

Sunday June 27, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
07:45 - 8:00p.m. On arriving on site, adult seen on 130 Adelaide St. I took a peek in the nest ledge and could only see two juveniles, not too unusual since they do like the far reaches of the ledge which is totally out of sight for anyone. Did a quick scan of the skyline and one juvenile is seen on the west side 120 Adelaide St. I don't see the second one. The 120 Adelaide bird tries to fly east along the north side of the roof top and ends up dropping in between the strapping of the building. It can be seen with much difficulty and only if you had seen it drop there. This is where a high powered scope comes in handy and if we had a second one it would have been better. We spot it immediately and it doesn't look like it is going anywhere and thankfully at this time it does not appear stressed by its situation. During the remainder of the day and from various viewing points, the second bird is not seen. "Wind" is either not aware the bird is missing, or can't find it herself. She is aware of where of the trapped bird by occasionally kiting over the building. The observers on the ground also witnessed aggressive territorial behaviour between the two females. "Wind" had the upper hand this time, holding down Mandy a few buildings away from the Sheraton, with stoops and dives. Also witnessed was a juvenile (probably from the King St. site by its flight skills) being chased by an adult. Last sighting of this juvenile was north of New City Hall on the building that was previously a hotel but is now part of Uof T housing. At this time a rescue is in the works but it must wait till morning as we need permission from the property management, and time to coordinate volunteers on the street. Lots of happenings now that the fledging has started here. It is unknownwhat else may occur, having two sites so close together. Let's hope for the best.

Saturday June 26, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
As of 4:30p.m. all 4 juveniles are still in the nest (unless they are sneaking out at night) Early this morning, walking towards the Sheraton Hotel, I could see a bird on 130 Adelaide St. stretching its wings. I thought it was a juvenile and rushed up to the 43rd floor to confirm. I peeked into the nest ledge and saw only 3 juveniles. I began searching the horizon with my binoculars until I saw an adult approaching the building. I ducked out of sight and returned to peeking into the nest ledge. Which adult it was, I am not sure, it was a "touch and go" to the ledge. Just then a fourth juvenile came running out from the far reaches of the ledge. WHEW!! I thought I had missed the 'first take off" The little stinkers really enjoy that far part of the ledge. Probably because it is in the shade all the time, and it is hidden from the rest of the world. I also notice they enjoy taking "toys" back there as well. (inedible remnants of prey) The do enjoy carrying a wing around in their talons. Hurricane is most active, very restless and the most vocal. Always aware of where an adult is. Looking skyward when either "Wind" or "Windwhistler-Spike" is sitting on the letters above them. In his excitement of an approaching adult, Hurricane hopped off the ledge and inadvertently grabbed the tail feathers of his brother. The quisitive expressions of both birds was very funny. Hurricane twisted and turned his head as he couldn't figure out what was in his talons, and his brother turning to see what had a hold of him. They eventually settled down again and were less active when I checked on them again late in the afternoon. See you in the morning kids!

Friday June 25, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
08:45 "Wind" and Windwhistler are seen soaring high above the Sheraton Hotel. What a sight, a beautiful blue sky, perfect temperatures, a perfect day to be flying. All four juveniles are enjoying the early morning, all piled on top of one and another at the edge of the ledge. Vocalizing is heard and "Wind" is swooping the nest ledge. Juveniles appear very healthy, I am so close I can see they have very pink interiors of their mouths and crisp clear and sharp tone to their calls. They are constantly preening and watching the world outside the ledge. Their eyesight is so sharp they pick up on anything that moves, even if it is out of their direct line of vision. This evening Paul and I walked past the sight and took a peek at the ledge from street level. Spike was seen leaving the nest ledge. Wind was sitting on the "H" and he went to sit on the "C" Some wing flapping from one of the juveniles.

We will begin much closer observations on this site this week-end. with the full watch in progress on Monday. Volunteers are still needed for early morning and late evenings.

Thursday June 24, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
8:15 a.m. Wind on the NW corner of 130 Adelaide; 3 chicks visible on ledge
9:30 Wind in same spot; no chicks visible
Throughout the morning, Wind made several passes in front of the nest ledge as if encouraging the juveniles but had no takers.
2 p.m. No-one visible.
2:45 Wind on edge of ledge and 3 chicks visible.
2:55 Watching from our 72 floor, an adult flew in to the nest ledge followed immediately by an other!! Within two minutes they both left and I lost sight of them. There was no evidence of a drop off.
3:10 3 chicks visible
3:30 Spotted Wind flying around City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square. She went back to the next ledge and was picking at the floor. 2 chicks were visible. One chick challenged her and mom took off then promptly flew back to the ledge; the chick walked off to the right out of sight. The second chick remained in the centre of the ledge.
No chicks visible between then and 4:40.

Between 5 and 7:45, I was at Assante Capital on the 34th floor of 130 Adelaide at the request of Jennifer Ritchie to show off the birds on the ledge to some of her clients and friends. Mark brought Fallon from the Kortright Centre to give everyone a close up view and to talk about the Foundation and all its projects. Wind and her chicks performed as if they they had been rehearsed! For a long period of time, all four chicks were visible, then Wind flew right by the window with everyone watching with a big fat pigeon in her talons, clearly on the way to her perch on the NE corner of the building to prepare it. Showers of feathers followed then all present watched as Wind fed her chicks. Mark had everyone engrossed with his peregrine tales and everyone was awed by Fallon's beauty. More supporters for Wind and her family and the Foundation!

Wednesday June 23, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
Check in at 8 a.m. 2 chicks were visible on the ledge.
At 8:20, 3 chicks were visible on the ledge and an adult was on the NE corner of 130 Adelaide. I believe it may have been Windwhistler-Spike since when it turned its head, the malar stripes were clearly visible, which I believe is not the case with Wind.
Between 8:20 and 9:20, much the same view, although I am sure at 9:20 the bird on 130 was Wind!
At 10 I suddenly saw the mechanical stage being lowered to the same spot as yesterday!! A quick emergency call to Mark to advise him before I rushed off to a meeting. In the meantime, Wind was flying around the stage before settling on the "o". A colleague noted at 10:40 that the stage returned to the roof.
At 10:45 4 chicks were in view and no adult was visible.
Between 11:15 and 11:50 various chicks were on view and Wind was on the NE corner of 130 Adelaide. At 11:50 one chick was visible on the standpipe, which is where the adults often stand. A colleague noted that at 2:20 4 chicks were visible in various locations on the nest pecking away, then one stopped pecking and hopped up on the standpipe. At 3 p.m. Wind was back on the NE corner of 130 Adelaide and 2 chicks were sleeping together on the nest ledge. At 3:30 Wind was soaring around outside my window - quite beautiful. Then I lost sight of her as she flew east. Between then and 5 p.m. I saw no adult and the chicks in various numbers. The are getting larger by the moment and one of them spent some time standing on the edge of the ledge with his tail hanging over the edge of the ledge. No feeding observed.

Linda Woods reports: 07:00 - 08:00hrs Adult peregrine not in view on my arrival. All four juveniles are growing and losing their downy looks very quickly. One male has just a few downy tuffs remaining on his head. They certainly do enjoy the rather large ledge to run and stretch their wings, and they have discovered their voices ....very loud! Don't know what they see out there but something has their attention and they are letting the world know about it. Wind did approach the nest ledge and was very careful not to turn her back on the young since she did not have a meal with her. She just happen to be doing a little housekeeping and removed the remains of a previous feed. All four are now sitting on the lip of the ledge, another step closer to fledging but with the metal edging they don't have much of a grip and could easily be launched into flight prematurely. There are a lot of well wishers and caring volunteers observing the nest ledge from early morning to well into the evening anticipating the first flight of this unique nest site. Everything and everyone is in their place awaiting the moment the first youngster takes the first flight. It will be an event that will be talked about and remembered for a long time.

Tuesday June 22, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
8:00 a.m. Adult on NW 130 Adelaide, 1 chick visible on nest ledge this sighting was consistent until 10 a.m.
10:15 All four chicks visible on ledge; Wind on NW 130 Adelaide
10:30 I noticed the mechanical stage on the Sheraton had been swung out and was going down the building, one space over from the nest ledge. Wind took off from 130 and dive bombed the man on the equipment several times. I called Mark by cell phone to advise him and he contacted the Sheraton. The man was changing a light bulb on the "t". Fortunately, the stage wasn't down for long. The adult buzzed him several times more and when the stage was back up and in neutral position on the roof, the adult took up position on the roof above the "a". The guy on the equipment was clearly demonstrating to his buddy on the roof how he had been buzzed by the bird. At the point, the second guy noticed the adult and started walking towards her. He got within about 10 feet (my guesstimate) and then she took off. Both guys left the roof at this point!!! Throughout the course of the afternoon the adult was only in sight periodically as were the chicks.
At 2:25 I spotted a bird with a kill on the SW corner of 120 Adelaide but I believe it was Spike since I could clearly see malar stripes. When the feathers stopped flying he took off and I lost him going south on University after a few loops around Nathan Phillips Square. Between 4:30 and 5 I saw no adult and only a couple of chicks. No feeding observed today.

Monday June 21, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
4:00p.m. After seeing, what the downtown crew thought was odd behaviour at the King St. nest, Zoe and Bruce suggested I take a peek at the Sheraton nest to see what was happening there. Made my way over there( about a 15 minute walk through rush hour traffic) All four juveniles were sleeping in the nest tray. I guess the slightly higher elevation of the tray is a little cooler. Wind was seen on the north-east side of 120 Adelaide St. I have not seen a peregrine on this corner in a long while. The building is somewhat lower than 130 Adelaide St. Two of the juveniles are still snuggling with each other and I am sure they will be " best buds" for a while out of the nest as well. Didn't have time to get the band I.D's off these two to identify them, but I will try. All seems to be well at this time and we will continue to keep a close observation on this site. Three of the juveniles at the King St. site have fledged and we are still awaiting the on the fourth. At this time they appear to be keeping to the east of # 18 King St. and not wandering to the west of Yonge St. Much closer and longer observations on this site will begin this WEDNESDAY JUNE 23, 2004 in which the oldest male will be 39 Days (by OMNR age calculations) At this time it will be determined as to when the dawn to dusk watch will begin.

Sunday June 20, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
The youngsters are growing so quickly. All four accounted for this morning. Adult was on 130 Adelaide St. as I approached the hotel from the north, but when I arrived on the 43rd floor, she was not there. Two of the males seem to be "best friends" and they like to be near each other. The female is very curious and will explore all new things in her surroundings. The other male showed little activity while I was observing. No feeding was given while I was there. After I had left the viewing area, the female had returned to 130 Adelaide st. on the north-east corner.

Friday June 18, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
11:30a.m. - A quick check on the newly named peregrines, found them all at the far end of the ledge. sleeping. The adult female was on the north-west corner of 130 Adelaide St.

Thursday June 17, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
Sheraton Hotel Banding Highlights. Finally, everyone will have a chance to see "Windwhistler's other family". Sheraton Hotel had graciously donated space in the exclusive "Club Lounge" on the 43rd floor for this special event. A complimentary and awe inspiring panoramic view of downtown Toronto, made it the perfect location to band our 4 peregrine falcon chicks. Introductions, special acknowledgments and a step by step commentary of the procedure was conducted by Mark Nash, President of the Peregrine Foundation. Mark Heaton, Biologist from the Ministry of Natural Resources was "selected" to retrieve the chicks from the ledge. He chose the short straw thus giving him the honour of this time sensitive, and some what stressful procedure. (he doesn't know that the Canadian Peregrine Foundation only has short straws and we always allow him to draw first). Pud Hunter, Biologist from the Ministry of Natural Resources was also in attendance to oversee and conduct the actual banding procedure. Everyone in attendance could hardly wait for the chicks to make their rare public appearances and when they finally arrived it was well worth it. Wind was very aggressive with Mark Heaton while he stayed on the nest ledge, but Windwhistler was not present during the festivities. 

Introducing ,Wind and Windwhistler - Spike's Family of Four
#1 - Sheraton- Chinook, Male Age: 33 days Wt: 640 gms
#2 - Hurricane Male, Age: 32 Days Wt: 660 gms
#3 - Monsoon Female, Age: 31 Days Wt: 980gms
#4- Tornado Male, Age: 29 Days Male WT: 660 gms

With the formalities over it was now time for this special group of four peregrines to have their pictures taken for prosperity. Starwood Hotels and Resorts' Cynthia Bond, Toronto-Dominion Canada Trust's Friends of the Environment's Roger St. Louis, Ontario Power Generation, Cindy Clarke, and Linda Woods from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation had the special honour of holding one of the young peregrines.

The young birds were returned to the nest and were quickly greeted by Wind who made sure they were all accounted for.

Many, Many thanks to all those who attended the banding. Michele Bake and Cynthia Bond were wonderful in putting together the reception and giving that extra touch with Chocolate cigars. I must give my personnel thanks to the staff of the Sheraton Hotel. They have been most understanding and caring towards the nesting peregrine and her offspring and have gone out of their way to ensure their safety and survival.

Thank-you's also to our other supporters. 

Sheraton Centre Toronto:
Security, Paul Greenwood and staff
Maintenance: Byron Penney
Marketing Communications; Michele Bake
Solar Window Washing
Phil Love and staff for their patience, understanding and "knowledge" of the peregrines
T.D. Bank Friends of the Environment
Roger St. Louis
Ontario Power Generation
Cindy Clarke, /Blair Feltmate
Oxford Properties 130 Adelaide St.
Jim Ohlman
Fatal Light Awareness Program (FLAP)
Mike Measure
and also the following Toronto Wildlife Centre,Toronto Humane Society, Dr Luckwaldt of Amherst Vet Clinic,Ohio Dept of Natural Resources and the peregrine volunteers in that state. Jennifer Ritchie of Assante Capital Management, HOOP, and the King Edward Hotel for their support since 1995.

Photos by Paul Marshman, Marion Nash, and Guylaine Drolet

Wednesday June 16, 2004
Bruce Massey reports:
1730-1830 Hrs. - There was some concern expressed by a watcher of the Nest that "Wind" the female hadn't been attending the Nest Ledge at the Sheraton Hotel for most ot the Afternoon. I therefore attended the site to see if I could observe a feeding. On my way from the 2 Nest Sites I observed a Peregrine soaring just East of the Sheraton Hotel. When I arrived at University and Richmond I observed a bird eating, really devouring quickly some food on the "t" of the Sheraton. When she had finished, she flew out to the South climbed up to a height, maybe twice the height of the Sheraton, and then dove in to the Nest Site. I swear she barely flared out before she darted into the Nest ledge.

Wednesday June 16, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
7:30 No-one visible on ledge
7:52 Adult flies to ledge; moves on to stand pipe then flies off again
9:30 No-one visible
9:45 - 10:10 1 chick in middle of ledge
10:10 - 11:30 No-one visible

Viewing from 34th floor, 130 Adelaide:
11:45 Wind arrives with a kills and 3 chicks seen feeding
11:50 Wind flies to top SE corner of the Sheraton Hotel (window washers are on 130 Adelaide)
11:53 Wind on top of hotel antenna, 1 chick in centre of ledge, 2 chicks at far right.
11:50 - 12:45 Chicks provide terrific entertainment to watchers as they go back and forth along the ledge. Wind puts on terrific aerial display, flying up close to the window and around the space between the hotel and 130 Adelaide. Could not have organized it better!!
12:55 Wind heads off east along Richmond and I loose sight of her.
1:40 1 chick visible in middle of ledge
2:00 1 chick visible at right hand side of ledge
2:50 An adult makes a very brief appearance to drop off food and leaves within 2/3 minutes. Chicks scuttle out from right hand side of ledge and grab food and disperse to eat it. Feeding very short.
3:20 All 4 chicks lined up at centre of ledge looking out (for more food?)
4:10 2 chicks visible in middle of ledge
4:45 2 chicks visible in middle of ledge
Off to King street site.

Jan Chudy reports: 07:00 – 7:30 : Upon arriving all four chicks sound a sleep. Distance vocalizing heard and “Wind” has arrived at the nest ledge with prey. I truly believes she is shopping at the same location. Once again she has a squab, same colouring and partially prepared as the wings do not look mature enough for this bird to have taken flight. This was a quick snack for the one of the young (the oldest and yet the smallest) as it was more interested in running to the far stretches of the ledge. ( east side of the ledge continues along for about 5 ft. which is not exposed to the open) As he explores and “plays” his siblings continue to eat every last little bit.

Breakfast is over , “Wind” departs the ledge with the “bones” and the remaining three chicks join the other in the back of the ledge. They all are very curious, pecking at the different things that attract them. It is very entertaining to watch them explore their world and their interaction amongst themselves.. From my observation (not official) -
1st Hatch: Male
2nd Hatch: not sure
3rd hatch: male
fourth Hatch female.
Only on June 17, 2004 will we know for sure.

Tuesday June 15, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
8:55 4 chicks visible on ledge. Two adults on 130 Adelaide. One on NW corner (Windwhistler?) and Wind on NE.
9:50 only Wind visible and the 4 chicks huddled together on the ledge. Shortly after that Wind flew to ledge and pecked along the length with chicks walking back and forth. Wind then returned to NW corner of 130 Adelaide.
10:00 Wind to ledge and feeding one chick at the right-hand side of ledge. Wind returned to 130 Adelaide and three chicks now visible on ledge.
Between 10:45 and 11:50 no adult was visible. Sighting of chicks ranged from 4 to 2.
Left to check on King Street site
2:40 2 chicks visible at right-hand side of ledge
3:34 Wind arrives with food; chicks very amusing as they appear one by one at a trot from the right hand side of the ledge to eat. Short feeding - one chicks grabs morsel from sibling and scampers off out of sight to right edge of ledge
3:45 Wind does a few short loops in front of Sheraton then settles on NE corner of 130 Adelaide.
4:10 3 chicks visible; no adult in sight
4:30 3 chicks visible in various locations on ledge; no adult in sight
4:55 no-one visible
Left to check on King Street site

Linda Woods reports: 0745. - Looking South on University Ave. Adult on north-west corner of 130 Adelaide St.West.
08:40 - Adult male to the nest ledge with prey, black band on RT leg. Adult female in tow and lands beside him, she takes the prey from him and he flies off and over to 130 Adelaide St. Chicks very hungry and vocal. They are even attempting to pick at the food themselves. It was a short feeding session and "Wind" takes the remainder of the food and flies out of the nesting area. A few minutes later she is seen on the north-east corner of 130 Adelaide St.

Also noted today, one chick likes to sit in the far right of the ledge and totally out of view of Jan. The chicks also like to explore this far region on the nest. 09:10 Both adults remain on 130 Adelaide St. Last time I saw them together on this building was early spring. As I left the top of the Sheraton, all four chicks formed a "huddle" and then dropped into a "pile of peregrines".

Sunday June 13, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
08:45 - "Wind" and all four chicks present and accounted for. "Wind" brings breakfast in and all four kids begin to eat. They are even attempting to help themselves while "Wind" is preoccupied at feeding one of the others, Very hungry little ones and very vocal. "Wind" feeds them every last little bit of food. Feather development looks good and they appear to be healthy at this stage. As they grow, the youngsters will demand more food and closer observation will be needed to ensure they are eating enough for proper flight feather development. Did not see Windwhistler during this time.

Saturday June 12, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
I was down early this morning and found Wind sitting on # 130 Adelaide St. on the north-west corner. She disappeared moments later. Although I could only see three chicks, one must have been under the camera, and try as I might, I just could not see the 4th chick Two of them are quite active, getting up and walking down the ledge a wee bit and then stopping to see the view from the perspective.( one of them is very vocal at this young age) I did not see any evidence of a recent feeding. But given the time of day, perhaps Wind went out hunting after she departed the 130 Adelaide St. roost. The chicks look healthy, still lots of white on them yet. Looking forward to seeing them at the banding on June 17, 2004.

Wednesday June 9, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
08:00 - 08:45 - Wind was on 130 Adelaide St., all four chicks were on the ledge. They were using the back wall of the ledge as a pillow. Wind took off and could not see where she went.

It appears that the chicks are getting a varied diet from the remains on the ledge. Yellow birds were on the menu.

Jan Chudy reports: 7:20 a.m. Mom on ledge and three chicks visible
8:00 a.m. Feeding time and all chicks present
8:15 a.m. Wind on NE corner of 130 Adelaide watching a maintenance guy on the room with some pails. I don't think he even knew she was there.
9:35 a.m. Feeding again.
Between now and 1 p.m. Wind was on the standpipe and the chicks were not visible.
1:10 p.m. One chick standing beside standpipe.
1:40 p.m. Chick staring up at Wind, Wind staring down at chick. Can only think questions about lunch were being asked and responded to.
2:25 p.m. Wind not visible; no chicks visible.
3:50 Wind made a brief appearance at the ledge but had no kill. After 5 minutes she flew off.
4:00 One chick appeared and began pecking at the ledge.
4:05 Wind returned with what must have been a small morsel since feeding was over in 5 minutes. Only 3 chicks participated. They returned one by one to the right hand side of the ledge where they are out of sight. Wind flew off to the south.
4:30 No birds in sight.
4:45 One lone chick at standpipe.

Monday June 7, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
Between 8:35 and 10:55 chicks were sometimes visible. Wind spent most of the time going between 130 Adelaide and the ledge, where she did some tidy up.

12:40 Feeding time. By 1:05 all chicks were safely behind the nest box and Wind was on the ledge watching. Then one of the chicks came out to join her, so she returned to behind the nest box and the little one wobbled behind her. Between 4 and 5, no adult was visible but she had obviously been hunting since there was a feeding at 5:25.

Tuesday June 8, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
I was in training most of the day so could only check sporadically. However, colleagues check from time to time and and observations to mine.
9:20 Wind on standpipe and 4 chicks visible.
12:45 One chick observed "sprinting" from standpipe back to behind nest box.
2 p.m. 3 chicks visible and mom flying in front of building
2:45 A bird noticed in the middle of the ledge with prey. Within 5 seconds another bird flew in to the ledge and chased the first bird off and followed in pursuit. It happened so quickly I could not identify either bird.
Between 3:15 and 3:50, two or three chicks were visible but there was no sign of Wind.
At 4:40 Wind was on the ledge and two chicks were visible.

Sunday June 6, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
Checking from First Canadian Place at 9:50 am, the adult was on the NE corner of 130 Adelaide. Chicks behind nest box.
9:55 am Wind had flown over unseen by me and feeding was taking place.
10:20 am Wind was on the standpipe and three chicks were visible.
10:40 am Four chicks visible on ledge and Wind still on standpipe.

Sunday June 6, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
5:20 - 6:00p.m.: The four chicks are starting to develop the "mask" and just starting to get their tail feathers. When I arrived, WIND was not at the nest and not visible in the area. I took this opportunity to look closely at the "pile of peregrines" and just amazed at their development. How lucky am I to be able to see them this clearly.

WIND appears at the nest ledge and she has delivered a squab. I think she shops at the same place because all the pigeons she has brought in are about the same young age and the same colouring. It is truly the most amazing thing I have seen. To watch WIND, rip and tear at the food and then be so gentle when feeding. I have also notice she is very attentive and pays attention if a chick if having difficulty with the food. If one of the chicks gets a piece of meat with too many feathers, or the piece is too big, she will take it from them. As the meal draws to a close, she will then rip more meat from the catch and hold it in her beak and then start vocalizing at the chicks, as if the encourage them to eat more. It appears at this time the family is managing, there is evidence on the ledge of some good meals, mainly pigeon and even a blue jay.

Thursday June 3, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
I viewed the nest ledge and vicinity for most of the day. The following are the highlights.
9:30 Adult appears not be feeding chicks behind nest box (lots of bobbing)
Adult spent rest of morning around ledge or behind nest box
11:35 Spike dropped off food!!!! (appeared small) which Wind promptly fed to the chicks. He stayed on the SE corner of the hotel for a few minutes then flew off. After the feeding Wind flew around her territory then returned to nest ledge.
Noon Wind took off hunting and I watched her go as far as University and College. She returned but had no kill. She picked up a scrap from the nest ledge and flew off with it around Nathan Phillips Square and must have dropped it since she flew back to the ledge empty-clawed (cleaning the ledge?) Afternoon was much like morning - hunting unsuccessfully or spending time with chicks.
2:10 Adult soaring around then took of East.
2:20 Bird (not clearly identified) returning from East with larger bird (Mandy) in pursuit. I lost them over University and Adelaide.
2:55 Bird on ledge but facing in so could not be identified.
From 3:35 onwards no bird was in sight.
A colleague left a note on my desk to say she saw a bird on the ledge at 6:30 and after viewing a few minutes it flew off.
Arriving in my office on June 4 at 7:05 Wind was on the NE corner of 130 Adelaide. Now (7:15) she is on the nest ledge observing the chicks who are visible behind the nest box.

Friday June 4, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
7:05 a.m - Wind on NE corner of 130 Adelaide
7:15 - Wind on Sheraton ledge checking on the chicks
9 - 9:45 Wind on 130 Adelaide; 2 chicks visible several times
9:45 Although I saw no kill going in, the chicks were being fed
9:45 - 12:45 Wind back and forth between 130 Adelaide and the nest ledge; chicks sometimes in view, sometimes not.
1:15 Feeding in progress
1:30 No adult in sight
1:40 Adult hunting north on University
1:50 3 turkey vultures appeared north and east of Scotia Plaza. As I (and one other) watched, a peregrine approached from the east very fast and scattered the vultures. She then chased one down and slammed into it. The vulture came west with the bird in attack mode. The vulture finally gave up but the falcon continued flying fast around and above Richmond Street before I lost sight of it over University.
2 p.m. Adult on nest ledge observing chicks.
4 p.m. Falcon hunting around Nathan Phillips Square then flew to settle on last "e" in "Centre" Made a couple of swooped by the south side of the hotel and then settled on the cross bar of the "e" in "Sheraton" where it started to de-feather something. Again, someone else was watching with me and the bird clearly had nothing in its talons when it landed so I have now discovered another "stashing" place which I will check out. When de-feathering was complete, the bird took off apparently with nothing in its claws and made a couple of loops in front of the nest ledge before it dropped in and started to feed the chicks!!
4:20 Bird back to NW corner of 130 Adelaide.

Thursday June 03, 2004
Juanita S. Woods reports:
Thank you so much for posting those beautiful photos of Wind and her 4 babies. I am attaching 2 photos of her father Bandit. These photos were taken by Tim Daniel of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. Tim is the husband of Donna Daniel, the biologist responsible for the Columbus Peregrine Falcons. As you can see, Wind has inherited her father's trademark grey helmet (no white cheek patches). Wind certainly is a beauty.

Thank you also for the most recent reports on Wind and her little ones. I am comforted by the knowledge that Wind has such wonderful guardian angels like you, Linda Woods (no relation, at least I don't think so) and Jan Chudy.

I know Dr. Tordoff has stated in his Peregrine Reports that there were only 3 known instances of bigamous pairing in the Midwest falcons and in only 1 instance, both females fledged young. I am hoping and praying that in this case, both Mandy and Wind fledge young.

Bless you all for what you are doing for, not only Wind and her babies, but for all the Peregrine Falcons and all raptors.

Wednesday June 2, 2004
Mark Nash reports:
We have had further updates on the back ground of "Wind", the nesting peregrine at the Sheraton Hotel Toronto and many photos have been posted. Dave Scott from the Ohio District of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife has been kind enough to send us some details and back ground of "Wind" -- 

"Wind as she was named, is a falcon that we banded in 1998 at the Rhodes State Office Tower in downtown Columbus, OH. This is the same site that has a webcam that you can view on the internet in case you'd like to check it out.

This bird was banded as a female and named "Wind"

Her mother, an adult female in 1998 was named Aurora, a 1991 hacked bird from Aurora, Ontario Canada. Wind's father was unbanded. They produced 4 eggs in early April, 3 hatched by May 9th, and fledged 3 young (2 females & 1 male) by June 24th. Interestingly, this was the last year that Aurora nested as she died at The Raptor Centre (Minnesota) on 9/9/98 after treatment for an unknown illness or toxin. She fledged 19 young during her tenure at the nest site (5 nesting attempts). Banding occurred on May 29th of that year. [ Winds Siblings were named Thunder (F) & Erie (M). Names at this site usually are submitted by local school children. We select names from all those submitted. Although I banded these young falcons, sadly we did not weigh them and I am unable to provide you her banding weight .

Photo highlights from 1998 can be found at: Enjoy...Dave Scott"

Wednesday June 2, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
8:15 Adult feeding chicks at NW corner of ledge
8:25 Adult on NW corner 130 Adelaide
8:35 - 10:30 adult in various spots on Sheraton ledge
10:45 something flew fast past my window going west, no adult visible at Sheraton. Checked view from east side of First Canadian Place and found bird on antenna of Commerce Court. returning to my office for binocs. adult back on Sheraton ledge. other bird still on antenna.
1:55 - 2:45 Adult on NW corner of 130 Adelaide
3:10 Adult with chicks but cannot verify feeding although there is a lot of "bobbing" going on so she may working with a meal.
3:35 No adult in view
4:00 Spike on nest ledge facing outwards!!!! Female on NE corner of 130 Adelaide watching Sheraton ledge
4:15 Spike gone
4:40 Adult from NE corner of 130 Adelaide to nest ledge. Spike flew out from SE corner of ledge where I had not been able to see him!! He headed west but a few minutes later I found him perched on NE corner of 130 Adelaide
5:10 Female back on NE corner of 130 Adelaide. No sign of Spike

Linda Woods reports: I arrived in the area around 4:30p.m. and thought I saw one peregrine on the south Sheraton letters, but as I repositioned myself to get a clear look the bird was not there. However there was one bird on the north east corner of 130 Adelaide St. While up in the Mechanical room the bird was still on the north-east corner of 130 Adelaide St. I took a quick peek into the ledge and there was evidence of a very recent 'feed" so all that bobbing Jan reported earlier was probably a feeding. The chicks were huddled into the back of the ledge under the camera. Seeing the evidence of a feed I felt better knowing they had been feed twice today and the chicks were snoozing when I left the 43rd floor. Back on street level I could still see the bird on 130 Adelaide St. around 5:50p.m.

Tuesday June 1, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
I am only sending this to the small group since I was worried by my observations. Having now read Linda's report from later yesterday, I am very relieved. I observed the nest continuously throughout the day. The only feeding observed was at 12:50, where the adult and the chicks were huddled in the north west corner of the ledge behind the nest box (presumably next to the camera). Shortly before 1 p.m. the adult took off, obviously hunting. I lost sight of her over University and Adelaide. Throughout the afternoon the adult spent time on the ledge but not with the chicks, who were never visible after the 12:50 feeding. From 3:50, no adult was visible until at 4:30 when a bird flew out from the south east corner and flew west. At 5 p.m. a bird arrived on the north east corner of 130 Adelaide (missing a pigeon in the process). I went home pretty worried at this point. This matches part of Linda's report and I was greatly relieved to read that the adult brought food at 6 p.m. Everyone must have been pretty hungry.

As I arrived at 8:15 this morning (June 2), mom was feeding the chicks who remain in the back (NW) corner of the ledge. Checking now at 8:25 a.m., the adult is not on the ledge but I spot her on the NW corner of 130 Adelaide, looking towards the Sheraton.

Linda Woods reports: 4:45 - 9:30p.m.: Adult peregrine seen flying west along Richmond St. towards University Ave. As I made my way to the north side of Richmond St. just outside the Sheraton Hotel, the peregrine had landed on the north-east corner of 130 Adelaide St.
6:00p.m. "Wind" brings fresh food for the chicks and begins to feed. Wind is very attentive and making sure they all get something to eat and vocalizing for them to eat more. It begins to rain and the chicks huddle into the corner while Wind sits on the ledge, soaking wet.
7:00 - 9:30: Wind never left the nest ledge with the exception of one occasion when she removed the remains of the meal. She is making a very good effort in feeding the young and herself . It is encouraging to see that the chicks are not hounding her for food at this stage, which means they are being kept satisfied. More observation will be required to ensure that Wind does not burn out with the demands for more food as the chicks grow older and larger.

Tuesday June 1, 2004
Mark Nash reports:
Nesting Peregrine has been identified:

We have great news indeed on several fronts. We have received information back from our Ohio friends that the band number of the territorial female nesting on the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Toronto is in fact one of their birds. Through band number identification and confirmation, we have some back ground information. "Wind" as she was named, fledged from a nest in 1998 from the Rhodes Tower in Columbus, Ohio. Wind's father, named Bandit disappeared last July and he was the patriarch falcon of Columbus' falcons and reigned at the Rhodes Tower from 1993 to 2003. We are awaiting additional background information and history.

On another very positive note, we have permission from our area biologist at the Ministry of Natural resources to augment Wind's food supply IF it appears she is have a struggle to provide food to the 4 chicks. Now that the camera and monitor is in place, we will be monitoring the family's progress on a daily basis, without the risk of disrupting the normal activities of the family rearing process by the female Wind. We have a supply of "natural food source", other than quail, that can be used should the family need a helping hand with food.

The folks in Ohio are very concerned about the outcome of this situation, and I have assured them that situation is being monitored very very closely.

Sunday May 30, 2004
Mark Nash reports:
Well, an interesting day indeed! We have finally got one of the band numbers from this nesting adult nesting at he Sheraton Hotel nest. The bird is wearing a black over red band on it's left leg, (with the numbers having been clearly read), and a pinkish coloured band on its right leg, (sadly were unable to read the much smaller numbers on this pink coloured band). As of this morning, (Monday May 31st), we have received information back on the band number that gives us the indication that the bird is from Ohio, and was named "WIND ". We are waiting for further details and will advise as updated information becomes available. We will refer to the bird as " WIND " for the purpose of this report.

I met with Linda at the hotel at approx 9:30 am this morning, and we spent the entire day watching the birds activities. Much toooo much to post, so I will try and summarize what we observed throughout the day.

We were able to watch and observe the nest site activities in detail, and it has in part, given us a better understanding of what is actually going on. Sadly,, it appears that our worst suspicions may have in fact been confirmed. There is only one attending adult on the nest, and the absence of a second adult attending to the nest has become more evident.

Upon arrival, - the attending adult (" WIND ", now identified by its coloured band number) was present on the nest ledge attending to the four chicks,. The 4 chicks although very small, appeared to be healthy and were active with a very small bulge of food in their crops. The adult's crop was empty and was noticeably sunken in, so much so, - it was displacing the feathers covering its crop.

Although the chicks are very young, and typically not very mobile at all at this age, they were active most of the day stumbling around the nest area chasing WIND around the nest ledge begging for food. It is worth noting that this adult bird is either a very small female or a larger male, and despite our best observation efforts, we were both undecided as to what sex this adult actually is. For the sake of this report, we will log WIND'S sex as being a female until we get additional information from the banding records.

As of the Finally, at 3:00 pm , " WIND " moved to the edge of the nest ledge, overlooking the south and east, and after 15 minutes of scanning the horizon, (at approx. 3:15 pm), she flew off south east in the direction of the 18 King street nest site building, - (Toronto Downtown nest site), (which I might add is less than 1/2 km. away, and very visible with the naked eye). It's very close!!

Within 3 minutes, (at 3:18 pm) WIND had returned, (one again having clearly identified by the same band number), returns to the nest ledge with a very dry, crispy 3/4 eaten food scrap, not much bigger than a starling. The flesh on the remains of the dried bird carcass had yellowed, and was not red in coloured at all. The adult proceeded to break it up into small bits proceeded to feed it to the begging chicks.

On two occasions during this feeding, two of the chicks struggled to swallow several of the hard crispy pieces that were offered to them by the adult. The entire event took some 4 minutes, and everything was consumed by the the 4 chicks. WIND did not eat at this time, and fed everything to the 4 chicks.

At approx. 3:30 pm, "WIND" once again moved to the nest ledge edge, scanning the south east, and at 3:40 pm finally flew off to the south east. Moments later, an adult peregrine was observed being chased and stooped by a larger peregrine, that forced the smaller peregrine to the roof top of 130 Adelaide, where it stayed on the north east corner for 12 plus minutes while the larger peregrine circled over its head. The 130 Adelaide street building is directly across from the nest ledge at the Sheraton Hotel - (at least as the crow flies) at this high elevation.

As the airborne peregrine disappeared to the south east, the grounded peregrine took flight and landed on the Sheraton nest ledge, (once again this bird was clearly identified as WIND by its band numbers), and it quickly moved back into the nest ledge to mantle over the four white chicks. There WIND stayed with the chicks (for approx. 30 minutes), until approx. 4:30 pm, at which time it once again she moved to the edge of the nest ledge, scanning to the south east. After approx. 11 minutes of watching, she finally took flight to the east.

Moments later (approx. 20 to 30 seconds), a peregrine flew back into our view, landing on the roof top of 130 Adelaide, and seconds later was chased by another similar sized peregrine over to the Sheraton nest ledge. The peregrine being chased was once again identified by it band number, as being WIND from this nest site at the Sheraton.

This time, the pursuing peregrine actually landed on the leading edge of Sheraton nest ledge forcing WIND off the ledge. This new bird, was wearing a solid black band on its right leg, and a silver coloured band on it's left leg. For some 30 minutes while it stayed on the nest ledge, this adult male was very interested and most curious about the sight of the four chicks hobbling around on the nest ledge.

At no time did any of the chicks make any effort or motion towards this male peregrine, and at no time did he make any effort or motion to get closer to the chicks. Some thirty minutes later, WIND arrived back at the nest ledge with a freshly killed (dripping red with blood) small pigeon squab - ( with underdeveloped primary flight feathers). This kill was not prepared in the usual way that food is typically brought in by other adult peregrines at other nest sites observed over the past eight years.

Upon WIND'S arrival, the other adult male was spooked off the ledge, flying to the south east, in the direction of the 18 King street nest site, and finally disappeared from our view. During this observation, there was although no confrontation or vocalizing.

WIND then walked back into the nest, and proceeded to feed the chicks. The chicks were fed, in addition to WIND eating much of the kill it brought in. It was also noted at this time, that the pigeon squab brought in had a crop full of yellow corn kernels that spilled out of the pigeons crop onto the nest ledge as it was torn apart at this feeding. The entire pigeon was consumed by the 4 chicks and the attending adult. After the feeding of the chicks, the adult proceeded to cover and brood over the chicks (now bedded down after the meal).

This adult never left the nest ledge again after this feeding while we were there. 

It is our belief that Windwhistler is the sire/father at both the Toronto downtown nest site, AND the Sheraton nest site. This might explain why he was allowed safe passage to get to the Sheraton nest ledge without confrontation. It might also explain why WIND is being allowed (at least by this male) free access to the air space so close to the 18 King Street nest territory. Based on our earlier observations this day, (and many of the other volunteer observations over the past weeks), it would appear that "Mandy", the adult territorial female at the 18 King Street nest site, does not share the same view of WIND'S presence in the territory. Given that we witnessed a much larger peregrine stooping and attacking WIND earlier, it would appear that there is conflict between the two females, while the single adult male is quite tolerant of the situation.

MNR was contacted once again at the end of the day, and advised of the days observations

Friday May 28, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
I am very happy to advise that I received a very warm welcome from the tenant on the top floor of 130 Adelaide West. Off the reception area is a boardroom which faces directly to the Sheraton ledge and appears to be virtually at the same level. I set up the scope and had a terrific view of the birds. One of the senior staff whose office is next door came in and asked some questions. The end result is, I can go back as frequently as I like, and she plans to bring in her binoculars and will let me know if she spots anything of particular interest (particularly the band colours). I was not able to see the colour of the adult's bands but if she had been standing on the ledge, I certainly would have. Two of the chicks were active, awkwardly walking around. She seems very attentive, though.

Thursday May 27, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
I checked on the chicks and mom throughout the day. The following are the highlights: At 9:50 a.m. the adult left the chicks and flew to the NW corner of 130 Adelaide where she preened for some time. Checking at 10:15, no adult was visible. At 10:40 she was feeding the chicks. Five minutes later, she left them, then returned after another five minutes (at 11 a.m.) with more food. After that, much snuggling and resting. At 1:15 p.m. showing off the view to Harry, the adult was seen chasing off a determined seagull who was flying close to the nest ledge. It took a few passes by the adult for the seagull to finally give up. At 2:00 p.m. there was another feeding. Then the chicks were all tucked under mom for some rest time. Checking at 3:50 the adult was not visible. However, shortly after that, it returned with more food. Then more resting. No observations after 5 p.m. It appears that the adult is catching and stashing the prey and bringing it all dressed to the nest ledge. Curiously, I have not seen a second adult for some time (at least 2/3 weeks).

Tuesday May 26, 2004
Jan Chudy reports:
12:30 p.m. : I thought I should advise that while I can vaguely see our four chicks at the Sheraton, it is way too frustrating with my binoculars. Therefore, I am now the proud owner of a beautiful telescope which will be trained from this p.m. onwards at the Sheraton nest ledge, where the proud parent is right now letting the chicks have some sun.

Monday May 24, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
Confirmed 4 chicks at at the Sheraton Hotel nest site!!

9:30 - 10:45 : Adult female in the nesting area, Left leg band metallic red.

Friday May 21, 2004
Mark Nash reports:
It appears that the Sheraton Hotel nest site is very real indeed. We have been monitoring an adult female incubating an undisclosed amount of eggs on the Sheraton nest ledge. (this is the same ledge that Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria used back in 1999) when the 18 King Street building had ongoing roof repairs happening at the same time that the birds were attempting to settle down on the usual ledge at that site.

We have been watching much activity over the months at the Sheraton site, believing that Windwhistler had a second female at this site that he was servicing. While we can not verify for sure that this is not the case, there is confirmation of of a second adult female, that has been incubating eggs.

The Sheraton Hotel has been very very supportive of our close monitoring of the this ledge, allowing us to once again "invade" the upper maintenance room to closely monitor the birds activity.

Linda confirmed the presence of broken egg fragments yesterday, and today she has confirmed that there has been at least two eggs hatch, with the presence of two baby white chicks on the ledge with the adult female.

Friday May 21, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
09:45 : WE HAVE A HATCH! A few more bits of birdy left-overs and a couple of white down feathers noted at the nesting area. I waited until the adult repositioned itself and two little ones were seen and they are tiny!

Hatch must have occurred early Thursday.

Thursday May 20, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
6:45p.m.: Evidence of “left-overs” on the ledge indicating a possible feeding. Bits of shell also noted.

Wednesday May 19, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
Sheraton Hotel Area 5:05p.m.: Viewing south towards the Sheraton Hotel, One peregrine on the south-west corner of 390 Bay St. It appears it may have prey with it. It flew off towards the Sheraton Hotel 10 minutes later.

Friday May 14, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
I checked on the Sheraton, still on eggs.

Monday May 10, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
Downtown Sheraton: 5:15p.m. ( my living room window) - Peregrine on the south-east corner roof-top of the Sheraton Hotel It remained there for another 10 minutes ( looked like it was cleaning prey) before it took off. I could see it fly to west of the hotel and then circle back. It did not reappear and I am assuming it went to the 43rd floor ledge.

Thursday May 6, 2004
Linda Woods reports:
06:25 a.m.: One peregrine seen on the north-west corner of 390 Bay St. at Queen.

07:50 a.m.: Peregrine on the north –east corner of 130 Adelaide St. no other peregrines seen from street level


| Archive Index | Previous period | Next period |

(or choose from selected popular links below)

| Home | News | Chapters | Talon Tales | Search |

| Membership | Adopt a Peregrine | Gift Shop |
| About CPF | CPF Projects | Project Track-'em | Education Program |

| Webcams | Photo Galleries | Sightings | Identification Tips |
| Peregrine information | Owls | Other Raptors | Links |

© Canadian Peregrine Foundation